Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

A Clorox post...and a personal story! Get ready...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, I'm Meg! I decided to make a post about the Clorox supplies, staying healthy by keeping illness/germs away, and whatnot! 

My story starts back to January 2006...when I gave birth to my micro-preemie! My 27-weeker, 1 lb 14 oz'er, little miracle of a baby girl. There's a whole lot that goes on with preemies...and one of the major issues is that their immune systems are very weak for a time...often for years. The NICU nurses and doctors stressed how important it was to keep as near a pristine environment as I could, keeping sick people away, making sure to keep my baby as healthy as I could. So I loaded my home and purse and diaper bag with hand sanitzer, wipes, etc...and I was serious about sick people not being around me or my baby. I told people not to take it seriously...it really wasn't THEM...but we just couldn't afford the illness. Even a simple cold could be dangerous for a micro-preemie. 

My daughter struggled with her immune system as a baby...even as hard as I worked to keep her from getting sick, she still did occasionally...and when she did, we ALWAYS ended up at the hospital. Terrifying! Even thinking about it now, the memories pull at my heart and sting my eyes. I'm just a little more sensitive for any sick child now...it breaks my heart! But it happens, it's inevitable. I was nervous about my daughter starting school for the first time in Kindergarten. I imagined her picking up all kinds of crazy illnesses from all the kids! I was a little nuttier with the cleaning than usual that first winter...but I must have done a good job (plus my daughter's immune system getting stronger), because she wasn't sick as often as she had been in past years and for the first time we didn't end up at the hospital! Yay! She's nearly 7 now and in 1st grade. And she does get sick (been sick three times this year already, ugh), but not as often anymore and she beats the illness pretty quickly. 

I just got my box of cleaning supplies and tissues and thermometer this afternoon and have already used the wipes and spray. I admit that I tend to usually use more natural products, I'm kinda crunchy/old school that way...but I have to say that I love Clorox. Am I the only weirdo who loves the smell of it? In small doses, of course! But the smell does make me think of cleanliness and I like that. I'm going to clean the tub tomorrow with the Clorox spray, so this should be fun....

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
abra
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Oh wow! I had my first in January 2006, as well, but she was born late at 43 weeks! I, too, tend toward green products, but I agree there is certainly a place for clorox just destorying some truly nasty germs!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I love that smell too.  I'm glad your daughter doesn't get sick as much now that's great

Heather2001
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Great story - thanks for sharing!

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

We use Clorox bleach at the humane society to disinfect and prevent parvovirus from spreading.  It's the only brand of bleach that works for this.

michiganmom116

My DIL has a severe reaction if she comes in contact with Clorox bleach...no other brand, just Clorox.

michiganmom116
Great story, BTW!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)