Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Had a major health scare...

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

Good evening all. I am new to the group.

I had a major health scare a few days ago due to some new meds my doctor prescribed. I am still recuperating from the side effects and the threat it put on my body. I blacked out for a short time, my heart rate increased, my heartbeat was irregular and I kept sweating. The meds I took were Zoloft and I will not be taking that or perhaps nothing else after that. I am currently on Norvasc and hydrocholorathiazide for blood pressure, and although meds have no known interactions with Zoloft, it just didn't agree with me.

Well, I know I need to be more active, and my heart rate still goes up every now and then because I have been suffereing from anxiety really bad. Any exercise ideas to help me to regulate my heart rate. I know cardio is one. Are there any foods that I can eat to help promote heart health.

This whole episode has really shaken me up because I didn't want to leave my three kids. I need to do better. I want to do better. I need to feel better. I want to feel better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group,
How scary that must have been!  So glad you are ok & now recuperating.
Aside from speaking with your doctor with regards to healthier eating am sure others here will have ideas.
I always use/say water . .  all day long :)

wandep
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Be careful...I was on something that had caused my lungs not to expand at 100%. Well, by the time I went and got my 2nd set of testing done the meds had gotten out of my system because I had been off from them awhile and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. :) I was so relieved but those two weeks or so that they made me wait for my 2nd test were horrible.

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Yes. Water has been my best friend. I realize too that my potassium is low and it's causing my heart rate to stay up.

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,
Aside from speaking with your doctor with regards to healthier eating am sure others here will have ideas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I have anxiety disorder and Zoloft did the same thing to me.  I ended up in ER.  Finally I saw a psychiatrist who totally blew the physician's prescription (Zoloft) as being the WRONG drug (it's an anti-depressant and suppresses the wrong neurotransmitter) for treating anxiety.  She prescribed Klonopin (an anti-anxiety drug) and it did the trick. OMG, the instant relief was sooo wonderful!

Exercise is wonderful, but you'll need to get that anxiety under control.  Yoga, deep relaxation techniques, meditation, biofeedback are all important to help control anxiety.  Do that, and your heart rate will regulate instead of being subjected to unreasonable amounts of cortisol and epinephrine that result from anxiety.

To promote heart health, ditch the inflammatory grains, sugar, and polyunsaturated fats, stick with saturated fats and certain monounsaturated fats.  Whole clean foods are best.  Coconut oil, if you can take it without gagging (I chase it with a handful of nuts, raisins, or sunflower seeds) is proven to be very good for your heart.

Cardio is good, but short bursts of intense muscle activity (wind sprints, pullups, planks, burpees) have a much stronger effect in a shorter length of time.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Hugs to you & hope you get to feeling better real soon :)

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Yes. Water has been my best friend. I realize too that my potassium is low and it's causing my heart rate to stay up.

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear that. It was a major awakening for me. Life is so precious. I want to live a healthy one and a happy one.

Quoting wandep:

Be careful...I was on something that had caused my lungs not to expand at 100%. Well, by the time I went and got my 2nd set of testing done the meds had gotten out of my system because I had been off from them awhile and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. :) I was so relieved but those two weeks or so that they made me wait for my 2nd test were horrible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Magnesium is another that's good for heart rate regularity.

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Have you looked into maybe a homepathic approach to medication?

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:43 AM
I did some burpees this morning and they are indeed very intense.

I so hate feeling like this. I cried myself to sleep in my fiancé arms. I just felt like I was about to break. I didn't start getting panic attacks until this past summer.

I asked my doctor for something milder than Zoloft, perhaps Ativan like I was on before because I didn't take it often. She said NO. With my heart rate being high she thinks it is a deeper issue. But once I calm down and get moving, my heart rate is normal. I get anxious and restless so this brings me to believe that my thyroid is acting up. I was told to just get another doctor since she can't seem to help me.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have anxiety disorder and Zoloft did the same thing to me.  I ended up in ER.  Finally I saw a psychiatrist who totally blew the physician's prescription (Zoloft) as being the WRONG drug (it's an anti-depressant and suppresses the wrong neurotransmitter) for treating anxiety.  She prescribed Klonopin (an anti-anxiety drug) and it did the trick. OMG, the instant relief was sooo wonderful!

Exercise is wonderful, but you'll need to get that anxiety under control.  Yoga, deep relaxation techniques, meditation, biofeedback are all important to help control anxiety.  Do that, and your heart rate will regulate instead of being subjected to unreasonable amounts of cortisol and epinephrine that result from anxiety.

To promote heart health, ditch the inflammatory grains, sugar, and polyunsaturated fats, stick with saturated fats and certain monounsaturated fats.  Whole clean foods are best.  Coconut oil, if you can take it without gagging (I chase it with a handful of nuts, raisins, or sunflower seeds) is proven to be very good for your heart.

Cardio is good, but short bursts of intense muscle activity (wind sprints, pullups, planks, burpees) have a much stronger effect in a shorter length of time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. This has been a battle but I know I will be fine.

Quoting hugss:

Hugs to you & hope you get to feeling better real soon :)

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)