Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Advice - picky eaters kids?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM
  • 10 Replies

What do you do with kids who are picky eaters? I have a son who is 9 years old and will NOT try new foods. Any advice appreciated. :)

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Keep trying,
Show him how yummy it is by you eating them too
Am sure others will have more ideas :)

Join us at 

Time Out for You

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I make what I make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If she doesn't eat it then she doesn't eat it. I don't make extra or second meals.

Kids will naturally not let themselves starve, he'll eventually eat what is in front of him.

I read an article once about a family who got stuck in China because of a flu outbreak and they couldnt leave the country yet or something like that (dont quote me on that, I just know they had to stay an extra week or so) and they were offered traditional foods that ALL kids eat there such as kimchi, sushi, miso soup, etc etc. And her kids are picky eaters! Well, they had no choice, the chinese do not cater to children, and her ate it! Without question! Even told her the food was good! But those are foods they would have never eaten at home or even tried, and the sushi was wrapped in seaweed!

So picky eating is an enabled thing. Just make what you make and if he doesn't eat it then he doesn't eat, he'll eventually eat. And if you're TRUELY worried about him, offer healthy mornng and afternoon snacks packed with protein and carbs to give him energy until his next meal such as nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc), peanut butter and crackers, grapes and greek yogurt, you get the idea, just don't let him fill up on snacks, give him enough to have energy until his next meal.

Bob192
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I would agree to keep trying.  We usually have the rule also that I'm not cooking extra stuff.  Lots of times they will end up eating it and liking it.

wandep
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Yes, I keep trying and don't make extra food for him. He eats what we serve. Its the complaining I can't stand and the whinning about it. :(

wandep
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Thanks!

Janet
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Oh I know just how you feel. I have one that does the same thing. Gets on my nerves.  lol

Quoting wandep:

Yes, I keep trying and don't make extra food for him. He eats what we serve. Its the complaining I can't stand and the whinning about it. :(

JoJoBean8
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Have him prep the food. He may be more likely to eat it then

Cafe AmyB
by Head Admin on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Buzz buzz! I PM'd you the other day. Did you see my message? ;o)

Quoting flowerfunleah:

I make what I make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If she doesn't eat it then she doesn't eat it. I don't make extra or second meals.

Kids will naturally not let themselves starve, he'll eventually eat what is in front of him.

I read an article once about a family who got stuck in China because of a flu outbreak and they couldnt leave the country yet or something like that (dont quote me on that, I just know they had to stay an extra week or so) and they were offered traditional foods that ALL kids eat there such as kimchi, sushi, miso soup, etc etc. And her kids are picky eaters! Well, they had no choice, the chinese do not cater to children, and her ate it! Without question! Even told her the food was good! But those are foods they would have never eaten at home or even tried, and the sushi was wrapped in seaweed!

So picky eating is an enabled thing. Just make what you make and if he doesn't eat it then he doesn't eat, he'll eventually eat. And if you're TRUELY worried about him, offer healthy mornng and afternoon snacks packed with protein and carbs to give him energy until his next meal such as nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc), peanut butter and crackers, grapes and greek yogurt, you get the idea, just don't let him fill up on snacks, give him enough to have energy until his next meal.

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Yes, message received! So excited!

Quoting Cafe AmyB:

Buzz buzz! I PM'd you the other day. Did you see my message? ;o)

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I make my 3 year old eat a few bites before she is allowed to have anything else. If she doesn't eat it that meal, she has to have it for the next.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)