Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Suffering from insomnia **big sigh**

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM
  • 25 Replies
Been suffering from insomnia for almost two months now. Just consumed a cup of chamomile tea with vanilla and honey. Any other ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

A bubble bath sometimes helps, anything that will relax you. Exercise earlier in the day, do all strenuous activity early, then quieter things later. Reading helps some. DH likes to read something boring, or technical-says that puts him to sleep.

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Thanks SweetLuci. I finally went back to sleep an hour later after this post but was right back up my normal time, which is 6:00 EST.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
Hope everyone has a great week!!! It's almost Christmas time!!!
Yesterday at 9:39 AM
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Hope you get some rest. :( You might want to check out fitbit.com Its a little tracker that you can buy that tracks your exercise activity plus it tracks your sleep patterns. Tells you when you go to sleep, how many times you wake up during the night, and things like that. I have one and love it...I get up all the time and never have a deep sleep. :(

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM
I will look that up. I'm starting to even darkness under my eyes. I may have to try to take a quick nap when I get home from work but I may end up not being able to sleep when it's bedtime.

Quoting wandep:

Hope you get some rest. :( You might want to check out fitbit.com Its a little tracker that you can buy that tracks your exercise activity plus it tracks your sleep patterns. Tells you when you go to sleep, how many times you wake up during the night, and things like that. I have one and love it...I get up all the time and never have a deep sleep. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

How does someone know they have insomia?

Is it when one cannot sleep for a night or two, not even catch some zz's during the day even if its just for an hour or does it consistently go on for days, maybe weeks with no sleep at all?

thanks 

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM
It can last for days, weeks, months or longer. It can come from stress or illness. During the day, you're sleepy and don't feel energized. As for me, I have been dealing with anxiety attacks, and I have thyroid issues. I believe this is a major reason for me. My panic attacks have decreased due to me exercising and taking my vitamins, so I hope I will soon get some much needed rest at night.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Is it when one cannot sleep for a night or two, not even catch some zz's during the day even if its just for an hour or does it consistently go on for days, maybe weeks with no sleep at all?

thanks 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

As someone who also has anxiety attacks, I understand the insomnia.  You may not feel anxious at bedtime, but your mind won't shut down.  If you're not open to taking any sleep aids/medications, you can try these things:

warm bath before bed

Get away from TV and computer for at least an hour before bed.  They stimulate your senses/brain.

Read a book before bed if it relaxes you.

White noise, such as a fan running, can help.

Sometimes during the night our blood sugars will go lower than our bodies are comfortable with, and our bodies will release cortisol...a stress hormone.  It wakes up our minds and bodies.  A small snack before bed can help prevent that.

virginiamama71
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for explaning. I hope you can get some rest soon and take care of yourself.

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

It can last for days, weeks, months or longer. It can come from stress or illness. During the day, you're sleepy and don't feel energized. As for me, I have been dealing with anxiety attacks, and I have thyroid issues. I believe this is a major reason for me. My panic attacks have decreased due to me exercising and taking my vitamins, so I hope I will soon get some much needed rest at night.

Quoting virginiamama71:

thanks 

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

Harris06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I always do some reading, take a hot bath, have a glass of wine (I know they say that alcohol doesn't help you but hinders your sleep but a glass usually relaxes me enough that I am able to get to sleep.) I usually get insomnia when I am pregnant and I know how terrible it is. :/ I hope you get some good sleep soon!

mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Great info!!

I've asked my doctor for some mild meds that may help, but she has yet to fulfill my request, and this Wednesday will make two weeks of no feedback.

I'm going to eat some trail mix or yogurt with granola. Perhaps that will help me some.

Quoting michiganmom116:

As someone who also has anxiety attacks, I understand the insomnia.  You may not feel anxious at bedtime, but your mind won't shut down.  If you're not open to taking any sleep aids/medications, you can try these things:

warm bath before bed

Get away from TV and computer for at least an hour before bed.  They stimulate your senses/brain.

Read a book before bed if it relaxes you.

White noise, such as a fan running, can help.

Sometimes during the night our blood sugars will go lower than our bodies are comfortable with, and our bodies will release cortisol...a stress hormone.  It wakes up our minds and bodies.  A small snack before bed can help prevent that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN