Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Carbs carbs carbs

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM
  • 26 Replies
I love pasta. It is always my go to favorite...almost any pasta dish. Pasta is also filled with carbs which you are supposed to avoid for health and weight reasons.

So how does one balance weight/health with their love of cards?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I eat them anyways, but in the proper portions.  Most people have no clue what an actual serving of pasta really is.  I do try to substitute Wheat varieties over the regular varieties most of the time, but my husband hates the wheat kind.  Pile the veggies on and limit the amount of pasta you actually use.  You'll hear varying opinions on this one, honestly.  I would limit the number of days a week you have pasta to no more than like, 2 days, though.

laughnchica
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM
We rarely have more than two days a week but what is a good portion size?

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

I eat them anyways, but in the proper portions.  Most people have no clue what an actual serving of pasta really is.  I do try to substitute Wheat varieties over the regular varieties most of the time, but my husband hates the wheat kind.  Pile the veggies on and limit the amount of pasta you actually use.  You'll hear varying opinions on this one, honestly.  I would limit the number of days a week you have pasta to no more than like, 2 days, though.

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

It says on the box.  Cooked is either 1/2 to 1 cup.  I'm sure there is a chart online somewhere that will give you that information.  

Quoting laughnchica:

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I did my research and found how damaging heavy carb loads were to our health. I cut the heavy carb foods and watched my bloodwork results. That was enough for me.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Actually, pasta is very tasteless and bland without the sauces that we add to it. I don't think it's the pasta so much as the sauces that we like. So, I found vegetable substitutes: shredded cabbage or spaghetti squash for spaghetti pasta, cauliflower for macaroni, etc.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM

1/2 cup

Quoting laughnchica:

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

JoJoBean8
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

The only grain I eat is rice. All the other grains make my celiac's act up. Helps me cut down on carbs

Janet
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

My doctor said 1 cup.

hugss
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I think you can enjoy if you watch portions,
Also of course the type of sauces one uses counts as well :)

heather4511
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:17 AM
I also try t manage portions and eat it anyways.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)