Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

really considering going vegetarian

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM
  • 15 Replies

I have been really looking at the way I eat and realizing that I eat a lot like my grandma. She just fully recovered from open hear surgery, is diabetic, and over weight. I do not have these problems, yet. i am afraid for the future where I am more than likely going to end up going through the same things. 

In my family, well on that side of the family, my dad's side, we are really big red meat eaters. I mean I love ribs, steak, bacon (i am obbsessed with bacon). I have never been a fan of chicken or turkey. I don't want to end up like my Grandma. I don't want to have all these problems with my heart when I am her age, and when a dr tells me i need to change my diet, I don't want to follow it for like a week and then start complaining and sneaking food and then just not following that eating plan all together. 

I don't want to be her. I feel like becoming vegetarian would be my best option to not becoming like her. Am I right?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Possibly. You could start slow by doing meatless meals 1 or 2 nights a week and then work your way up to most or all nights a week with no meat.

Consider Beans and eggs as alternate proteins. Add more fruits and veggies.

Also, consider clean eating http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/

Hopefully you'll get some great advice from the more knowledgable ladies in this group!

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm diabetic and I can tell you from experience that eating vegetarian was very detrimental for my diabetes.  Red meat doesn't cause diabetes or aggravate it.  What does the damage are the carbs you eat.  Carbs are next to nil in meats/poultry/fish/eggs/cheese, but they are abundant in plant sources of protein.  Consequently, I won't eat legumes.  I eat very little of starchy veggies such as potatoes, corn, peas, winter squash, and sweet potatoes.  No grains or foods made with grains, which are full of carbs with comparably little nutrition.  Little to no sugars, refined or otherwise.  No artificial sweeteners.  No seed oils (canola, safflower, corn, vegetable, etc.)  I follow a nutrient dense diet of animal proteins, vegetables, nuts, healthy fats (real butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado), and only a little fruit.  I've lost weight, my cholesterol dropped with no medication (over 300 to normal, excellent LDL and HDL levels), my overall health and energy level improved, I've gained control of my diabetes, and I'm very satisfied after eating.  These foods fill you up and provide all the nutrition you need if you get a good variety and choose foods that come from healthy sources.  I do eat foods with carbs (veggies, cheeses, nut flours) but they are low in carb counts and don't raise my blood sugar levels nearly as much as grains and legumes do...we're talking 150 - 200 point difference in post prandial blood sugar readings! 

My mother is also diabetic, as was her father.  He passed away from complications of diabetes.  He ate little meat, but he liked his carbs (breads, pasta, potatoes) and sweets.  My mother is pretty careful with her diet (very little red meat, plenty of whole grains -- carbs -- fresh fruit, fiber supplements, low fat everything) and has already had 2 heart operations.  She's only 65.  It just doesn't compute with her that even complex carbohydrates raise her blood sugar levels and do damage, even after seeing the improvements in my health when I switched my diet.

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I didn't even think of carbs being a factor! Oh man! I love potatoes, bread, pasta.... all sorts of stuff..... 
With the red meat I am more worried about heart problems. If I limit my red meat intake, will that help? My dad has a bad heart, a mitral valve (I think thats it) and that isn't my grandma's problem, hers is her lifestyle. She doesn't exercise, I do. That is probably the only difference between our lifestyles. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm diabetic and I can tell you from experience that eating vegetarian was very detrimental for my diabetes.  Red meat doesn't cause diabetes or aggravate it.  What does the damage are the carbs you eat.  Carbs are next to nil in meats/poultry/fish/eggs/cheese, but they are abundant in plant sources of protein.  Consequently, I won't eat legumes.  I eat very little of starchy veggies such as potatoes, corn, peas, winter squash, and sweet potatoes.  No grains or foods made with grains, which are full of carbs with comparably little nutrition.  Little to no sugars, refined or otherwise.  No artificial sweeteners.  No seed oils (canola, safflower, corn, vegetable, etc.)  I follow a nutrient dense diet of animal proteins, vegetables, nuts, healthy fats (real butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado), and only a little fruit.  I've lost weight, my cholesterol dropped with no medication (over 300 to normal, excellent LDL and HDL levels), my overall health and energy level improved, I've gained control of my diabetes, and I'm very satisfied after eating.  These foods fill you up and provide all the nutrition you need if you get a good variety and choose foods that come from healthy sources.  I do eat foods with carbs (veggies, cheeses, nut flours) but they are low in carb counts and don't raise my blood sugar levels nearly as much as grains and legumes do...we're talking 150 - 200 point difference in post prandial blood sugar readings! 

My mother is also diabetic, as was her father.  He passed away from complications of diabetes.  He ate little meat, but he liked his carbs (breads, pasta, potatoes) and sweets.  My mother is pretty careful with her diet (very little red meat, plenty of whole grains -- carbs -- fresh fruit, fiber supplements, low fat everything) and has already had 2 heart operations.  She's only 65.  It just doesn't compute with her that even complex carbohydrates raise her blood sugar levels and do damage, even after seeing the improvements in my health when I switched my diet.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I was like you...I liked my bread, pasta, and potatoes...but I know what they do to my blood sugars and I really do feel much better without them.  I also read several studies that show how damaging grains and grain foods are to our bodies.  That was incentive enough for me, and now I can hardly stand to eat the tasteless stuff.

I doubt red meat intake will directly damage your heart.  In fact, beef heart (considered red meat, very lean and tastes just like beef roast) has CoQ10 in it which is GOOD for your heart.  The damage is done by high blood sugars (from carbs) and damaging small density particles of fat (found in seed oils) that can raise cholesterol levels.  Animal fats are large fluffy particles that do nothing to damage our bodies. 

I would strongly suggest that you get a variety of meat from a variety of animal sources to get maximum nutritional benefits.   Fish is excellent for heart health, and you don't need to eat it every day.  If you don't like fish, take fish oil in geltab form.  Eggs from pastured or free range hens and wild-caught fish have significant amounts of vitamin D.  Beef liver is a top source of vitamin A as well as iron.  If you can't handle eating liver, have it ground and add it to ground beef.

Exercise is good...moving around is good.  Prolonged cardio (running, jogging, aerobics) every day can be damaging in that it causes inflammation, so alternating what you do would be best.  I don't have the time for prolonged cardio, so I do cardio intense workouts, such as windsprints or running up 5 sets of stairs.  Jumping jacks, jogging in place for a minute, and other short, intense exercises such as push ups, pullups, planking all have benefits.  I work out at times with INSANITY, but I often don't have the time to do the whole thing....and trust me, even the 15 to 20 minutes I CAN do is more than enough.

Quoting momma1708:

I didn't even think of carbs being a factor! Oh man! I love potatoes, bread, pasta.... all sorts of stuff..... 
With the red meat I am more worried about heart problems. If I limit my red meat intake, will that help? My dad has a bad heart, a mitral valve (I think thats it) and that isn't my grandma's problem, hers is her lifestyle. She doesn't exercise, I do. That is probably the only difference between our lifestyles. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I was like you...I liked my bread, pasta, and potatoes...but I know what they do to my blood sugars and I really do feel much better without them.  I also read several studies that show how damaging grains and grain foods are to our bodies.  That was incentive enough for me, and now I can hardly stand to eat the tasteless stuff.

I doubt red meat intake will directly damage your heart.  In fact, beef heart (considered red meat, very lean and tastes just like beef roast) has CoQ10 in it which is GOOD for your heart.  The damage is done by high blood sugars (from carbs) and damaging small density particles of fat (found in seed oils) that can raise cholesterol levels.  Animal fats are large fluffy particles that do nothing to damage our bodies. 

I would strongly suggest that you get a variety of meat from a variety of animal sources to get maximum nutritional benefits.   Fish is excellent for heart health, and you don't need to eat it every day.  If you don't like fish, take fish oil in geltab form.  Eggs from pastured or free range hens and wild-caught fish have significant amounts of vitamin D.  Beef liver is a top source of vitamin A as well as iron.  If you can't handle eating liver, have it ground and add it to ground beef.

Exercise is good...moving around is good.  Prolonged cardio (running, jogging, aerobics) every day can be damaging in that it causes inflammation, so alternating what you do would be best.  I don't have the time for prolonged cardio, so I do cardio intense workouts, such as windsprints or running up 5 sets of stairs.  Jumping jacks, jogging in place for a minute, and other short, intense exercises such as push ups, pullups, planking all have benefits.  I work out at times with INSANITY, but I often don't have the time to do the whole thing....and trust me, even the 15 to 20 minutes I CAN do is more than enough.

Quoting momma1708:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Really? Well...........crud! Do you have links to or names of the studies (when you have time, of course)?

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I'll get them later when I'm not on mobile.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting momma1708:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Really? Well...........crud! Do you have links to or names of the studies (when you have time, of course)?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting momma1708:

Quoting michiganmom116:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lectins/#axzz2H83Uiuat

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0000687

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC433288/http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC433288/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1115436/?tool=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329?dopt=Abstract

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/129/7/1434S.full

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/#axzz2H83Uiuat

^^^these are just a few about why grains are harmful to our bodies...

.....and now for the oils:

http://butterbeliever.com/what-is-pufa/

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.med.nutrition/2006-03/msg00258.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/035015_PUFAs_health_fatty_acids.html

www.homeorizon.com/breaking-news/polyunsaturated-fatty-acids-pufas-may-be-dangerous-to-your-health

not exactly a study, but it repeats information http://paleodietlifestyle.com/many-dangers-of-excess-pufa-consumption/

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Going to check these out right now! Thanks! 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting momma1708:

Quoting michiganmom116:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC433288/http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC433288/

www.homeorizon.com/breaking-news/polyunsaturated-fatty-acids-pufas-may-be-dangerous-to-your-health

not exactly a study, but it repeats information http://paleodietlifestyle.com/many-dangers-of-excess-pufa-consumption/

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting momma1708:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Thanks for these.

MockingJay
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I am a vegan (mostly). One problem I found with a vegetarian diet is that you can rely on dairy and processed simple carbs (pasta, white bread) a lot, and that is bad for your health. Be careful of this. I find it easier to be a vegan at home, and a vegetarian when out. 

I think your best bet i to have a baseline physical and blood work. Then start making changes to your diet in a way that is comfortable and doable. If you deprive yourself, and it is not enjoyable to you, it will be hard to succeed. I like the idea of just changing your meals slowly. Have one or two meatless meals a week, and go from there. In a few months, have another physical and blood work to compare. Then go from there. If ou see a difference, maybe that will motivate you to make more changes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN