Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

really considering going vegetarian

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been really looking at the way I eat and realizing that I eat a lot like my grandma. She just fully recovered from open hear surgery, is diabetic, and over weight. I do not have these problems, yet. i am afraid for the future where I am more than likely going to end up going through the same things. 

In my family, well on that side of the family, my dad's side, we are really big red meat eaters. I mean I love ribs, steak, bacon (i am obbsessed with bacon). I have never been a fan of chicken or turkey. I don't want to end up like my Grandma. I don't want to have all these problems with my heart when I am her age, and when a dr tells me i need to change my diet, I don't want to follow it for like a week and then start complaining and sneaking food and then just not following that eating plan all together. 

I don't want to be her. I feel like becoming vegetarian would be my best option to not becoming like her. Am I right?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Replies (11-15):
momma1708
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM

that is a very good idea. 

Quoting MockingJay:

I am a vegan (mostly). One problem I found with a vegetarian diet is that you can rely on dairy and processed simple carbs (pasta, white bread) a lot, and that is bad for your health. Be careful of this. I find it easier to be a vegan at home, and a vegetarian when out. 

I think your best bet i to have a baseline physical and blood work. Then start making changes to your diet in a way that is comfortable and doable. If you deprive yourself, and it is not enjoyable to you, it will be hard to succeed. I like the idea of just changing your meals slowly. Have one or two meatless meals a week, and go from there. In a few months, have another physical and blood work to compare. Then go from there. If ou see a difference, maybe that will motivate you to make more changes. 

mamabear17
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Are you looking to lose weight also? If so I would totally reccomend Weight Watchers. I did it and lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks. And you can eat potatoes and carbs, and also meat! Once I lost all my baby weight I was so excited I got off the program and thought I could do it on my own, WRONG lol. I need to get back on the program, it is easy if you have the will power. From what I learned it is all about portion control, with the right portion you can still eat the bacon you love, and the steak and ribs :). 

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Not really to lose weight, I just need to get in shape. I wouldn't mind losing 10lbs but I don't need to. I believe I am average weight for my height and age.... I don't think I am considered overweight. 

Anyways, I am just trying to avoid getting in the position my grandma is now in. She is going to have another heart attack at the rate she is going and I fear she wont live through that one. 

Quoting mamabear17:

Are you looking to lose weight also? If so I would totally reccomend Weight Watchers. I did it and lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks. And you can eat potatoes and carbs, and also meat! Once I lost all my baby weight I was so excited I got off the program and thought I could do it on my own, WRONG lol. I need to get back on the program, it is easy if you have the will power. From what I learned it is all about portion control, with the right portion you can still eat the bacon you love, and the steak and ribs :). 

drjim
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I can understand your concern, however consider the following...

If you were to eliminate all meat from your diet, would your diet be really healthy?  Whatever you eat brings consequences. 

I've been studying nutrition for over 40 years now and have learned a lot.

Meat is not the enemy, but poorly raised animal protein IS ONE OF THE WORST THINGS YOU CAN EAT!!!

Just the opposite is true.  PROPERLY RAISED,(grass fed grass finished beef, cage free organic eggs, and organic chicken) can be THE HEALTHIEST FOODS TO EAT.

If you eliminate the well known damaging foods like anything with high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, artificial ingredients, and all other JUNK food, you'll be on your way to improving your health and staying well.  Of course, adding fresh fruits and veggies (organic, as much as possible) is vital too. 

I personally was a vegetarian for years, but no more!  I know many folks who are vegetarians, but in poor health.

I'm almost 56 now and look and feel at least a decade younger.  So, meat is not the bad guy.

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

very happy with this because I have been thinking about how much I would miss meat if I gave it up. I love it way too much. 

Quoting drjim:

I can understand your concern, however consider the following...

If you were to eliminate all meat from your diet, would your diet be really healthy?  Whatever you eat brings consequences. 

I've been studying nutrition for over 40 years now and have learned a lot.

Meat is not the enemy, but poorly raised animal protein IS ONE OF THE WORST THINGS YOU CAN EAT!!!

Just the opposite is true.  PROPERLY RAISED,(grass fed grass finished beef, cage free organic eggs, and organic chicken) can be THE HEALTHIEST FOODS TO EAT.

If you eliminate the well known damaging foods like anything with high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, artificial ingredients, and all other JUNK food, you'll be on your way to improving your health and staying well.  Of course, adding fresh fruits and veggies (organic, as much as possible) is vital too. 

I personally was a vegetarian for years, but no more!  I know many folks who are vegetarians, but in poor health.

I'm almost 56 now and look and feel at least a decade younger.  So, meat is not the bad guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)