Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Boxing?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anybody else box for fitness/fun?

If so, do you take a class or have a trainer?

If you've been boxing for a while, do you have any tips or pointers for somebody new to the sport?

If you only box for fitness/fun, have you ever considered doing an amateur fight?

If you don't box, is it something you would consider trying? Why or why not?

I just started taking boxing lessons this past week and, although the drills about killed me, I LOVED it and can't wait for my next session. I'm doing it for fun, fitness, and as an initial step toward learning self-defense skills (boxing is the basis for all combative sports). I just wanted to know if there might be anybody else out there who enjoys it, too.

"The more power we give the Government, the more corrupt it will become. And if we give it the power to confiscate our arms, we also give up the ultimate means to combat that corrupt power." Ronald Reagan

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I've never done but my aunt teaches a class for it in CA

smarlis01
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I take take kickboxing classes and CrossBox (a mix of CrossFit and Kickboxing) at the gym. I do box when working with my trainer. I do it for fun and fitness. I don't think I'd do an amateur fight, lol :)
mom2aspclboy
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I was beginning to think that nobody else boxed. I've never heard of CrossBox, but it sounds like fun. I am so uncoordinated that plain old boxing is challenging enough, what with all the footwork & stuff to learn & remember, but I enjoy the challenge. I don't know that I would ever do an amateur fight either, but I have thought about it as another challenge for myself should I ever get to that skill level. I just don't know if I could go through with it..lol.

Quoting smarlis01:

I take take kickboxing classes and CrossBox (a mix of CrossFit and Kickboxing) at the gym. I do box when working with my trainer. I do it for fun and fitness. I don't think I'd do an amateur fight, lol :)

smarlis01
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I was the same way, lol!! I felt sooooo uncoordinated when I first got started. I love it. It's a great way to relieve stress and it's great for your core. The CrossBox is fun, but intense for sure. The last class we just did plain boxing, but usually we're throwing punches with 5lb weights.

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

I was beginning to think that nobody else boxed. I've never heard of CrossBox, but it sounds like fun. I am so uncoordinated that plain old boxing is challenging enough, what with all the footwork & stuff to learn & remember, but I enjoy the challenge. I don't know that I would ever do an amateur fight either, but I have thought about it as another challenge for myself should I ever get to that skill level. I just don't know if I could go through with it..lol.

Quoting smarlis01:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1Trixie
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Never tried it dear! My bones are too old. lol, Good Luck to you on your boxing, sounds like a great sport!

mom2aspclboy
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Glad I'm not the only one...lol! I agree, a wonderful way to relieve stress and it has been wonderful for my core, as well as my cardiovascular system. I can't imagine doing boxing holding a 5 lb. weight in each hand; I get tired enough with just the wraps & gloves.

Quoting smarlis01:

I was the same way, lol!! I felt sooooo uncoordinated when I first got started. I love it. It's a great way to relieve stress and it's great for your core. The CrossBox is fun, but intense for sure. The last class we just did plain boxing, but usually we're throwing punches with 5lb weights. 

mom2aspclboy
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm betting you are not too old. I'm just a couple of months shy of 45 and a friend of mine started boxing when she was 52 (she's 55 now & does amateur fights!), so if you really want to, I bet you could. I know it's not for everybody, naturally, but you know how it is when you find something new that you love, you want to share it with everyone you meet :-)

Quoting 1Trixie:

Never tried it dear! My bones are too old. lol, Good Luck to you on your boxing, sounds like a great sport!

1Trixie
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I sure feel old dear! I am well into my 60's! I am glad that you shared your story here with us, I plan to follow your story to see how your doing =) Hugs dear!

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

I'm betting you are not too old. I'm just a couple of months shy of 45 and a friend of mine started boxing when she was 52 (she's 55 now & does amateur fights!), so if you really want to, I bet you could. I know it's not for everybody, naturally, but you know how it is when you find something new that you love, you want to share it with everyone you meet :-)

Quoting 1Trixie:

jenni311
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I used to take a kickboxing class for fitness before I turned into a whale.  Plan to get back into it once the baby arrives and I'm fully recovered.  I don't think I would want to actually do an amateur fight though - too worried about injury / concussions etc.

smarlis01
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

my arms get tired quickly for sure! then when we put the weights down and box, they're so light and quick, lol!!

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

Glad I'm not the only one...lol! I agree, a wonderful way to relieve stress and it has been wonderful for my core, as well as my cardiovascular system. I can't imagine doing boxing holding a 5 lb. weight in each hand; I get tired enough with just the wraps & gloves.

Quoting smarlis01:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN