Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Going organic

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hey ladies, I'm wondering how many of you practive or have attempted a completely organic diet. With my new move to Florida this week, I'm wanting to start fresh with a healthier lifestyle and organic food is part of that plan. I know it's more expensive, but how much more expensive and how hard is it to find everything? I'm moving to Orange Park, FL and with a little research I have found these neat stores: http://www.thegranarywholefoods.com/ 

http://nativesunjax.com/

http://www.thegrassrootsmarket.com/

Any advice/guidance/encouragement would be greatly appreciated :)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drjim
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Hello,

I've been into eating organic long before it was called organic.  I don't live in FL, but I assume that you have Costco somewhere.  I get my organic spinach, carrots, lettuce, honey, rice and many cereals.  They carry ground bison, fresh chicken, and eggs.  These are only some of the things I buy there, but they have many others too.  Just about everytime I go there I find something new.

As far as dairy, beef and snacks go, I am a distributor for a company that will drop-ship to your door.  I'm very new to this website and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the company name or not.  If you'd like more info, I'll get that to you. 

1Trixie
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Personally I have found that organic only cost more and that's it! I buy all "regular" foods and don't find that I gain or lose any more weight or feel any different eating organic verse's eating "regular"!. But Good luck dear, let us know how it works out for you, we are all different so you may find something that works for you that made no difference for me! I look forward to hearing about it =)

mom2aspclboy
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

We are not totally organic, but do eat a number of foods as "organic only" due to their high hormone and/or pesticide/chemical content when conventionally produced. For example, I only buy organic dairy products and it has made a significant difference in our health. I pick and choose based on the food item and how I intend to prepare it, because for some things it just doesn't make a difference. 

As for cost, I haven't really seen that much of an increae in cost, because when you eat whole foods, you tend to eat less food at a time, so what you would have spent on eating more empty calories/junk foods, you just spend on the better food. See what I mean? Honestly, once you get your menus figured out & are careful about not over-buying, and therefore over-spending & throwing away a good chunk of what you buy (fresh foods spoil faster), it all works out about the same. At least it has for us. 

wandep
I luv Disney :)
6 minutes ago
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Did not know that Costco sold organic foods. That is neat.

Quoting drjim:

Hello,

I've been into eating organic long before it was called organic.  I don't live in FL, but I assume that you have Costco somewhere.  I get my organic spinach, carrots, lettuce, honey, rice and many cereals.  They carry ground bison, fresh chicken, and eggs.  These are only some of the things I buy there, but they have many others too.  Just about everytime I go there I find something new.

As far as dairy, beef and snacks go, I am a distributor for a company that will drop-ship to your door.  I'm very new to this website and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the company name or not.  If you'd like more info, I'll get that to you. 

SaraD1989
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

My general rule with orgaince fruits qnd vegetables is that if you eat the peel, buy organic. If you don't than don't worry about it. Things that DO NOT need to be bought organice include citrus fruits, watermelon, cantaloupe. Things I always buy orgaince are berries, apples, pears, grapes. Things of that nature. 

I don't drink dairy, but my fiacne does and I ask that he buy it organic if he must have the dairy. He also eats meat so I ask that it be organic as well. 

SaraD1989
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Kroger has organic foods too. 

familyisamour
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Thanks everyone! You've all been very helpful!!!

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

There is definitely a difference when you eat organic and I think it's a wise move.  It is no more expensive (that I find) because you will buy less processed junk.  I spend just a tiny bit more than I did buying processd junk and bad meat...

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have, but for a slightly different reason initially.  My oldest son was diagnosed with severe food allergies.  Many of his allergens are present in highly processed foods, so we ended up in the organic/natural isle to find food that he is able to eat.  I have also dusted off my cook books for him as well :).

At that time, I learned how to read food labels like no other!  I was reading tehse ingredients that were in foods and it started to disgust me.  So, for snacks and such, I stick with at least all natural.....preferably organic.  There are brands I trust with just thier all-natural line (like Annie's homegrown).  

As far as fruit, I have learned about the big link between all of those chemicals and food allergies....so to prevent more from occuring we go organic.  Whole Foods is one of hte nicest, cleanest and friendliest stores I have EVER been in.  When I first learned of my older son's allergies, I walk in completeyl overwhelmed.....his whole diet was overturned.  I spoke with someone there and they helped me figure out the ingredients lists and helped me find some great foods for him!

As far as getting fruit/veggies cheaper, you may want to find your local farmer's market if you have one.  Most times, they are even cheaper than the "crap" at the big box grocer :).

wandep
I luv Disney :)
6 minutes ago
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hey check out Annie's organic produce buying club it is all over Florida. I am getting my first shipment of organic fruit on Tuesday. I can't wait!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)