Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Unbleached sugar?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

Now I know that white sugar is bleached and highly refined. Unbleached sugar is typically dark brown sugar which contains molasses found in natural sugar cane- which is still not the same brown sugar that you get in most grocery stores. Organic whole cane sugar has a sort of powdery texture. That isn't the same as sugar in the raw, either.. So what is the natural state of unbleached, unrefined sugar after its removed from the sugar cane or sugar beets? Where can I buy it? I want to cook and bake without bleach in my family's food.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I read somewhere that brown sugar is actually bleached sugar and they add the molasses to it. Not sure how true that is though.

You're better off using a natural sweetener like honey (and no, agave is NOT natural, it's as bad as HFCS.)

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Natural state...isn't that cane juice?

Sugar doesn't have good effects on our body, no matter how natural it is.  Pure stevia is all natural and doesn't have the effects on our bodies.

tueborvita
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Sugar doesn't have good effects on our body, no matter how natural it is.  Pure stevia is all natural and doesn't have the effects on our bodies.

Is stevia good for baking as well?

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I know people that use stevia in their baking all the time.  It works fine, although you have to go by taste.

Quoting tueborvita:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Is stevia good for baking as well?

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I have also been using Nectresse, which is made from monkfruit, and coconut sugar. The latter is a bit pricey but only has 1/4 the carbs of regular cane or beet sugar.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)