Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Grilling is bad?

LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Yesterday at 6:40 PM
Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 15 Replies

I never thought of it that way. Just thought of it as another "healthier" way to make meat (or veggies even) rather than frying, or something else to do. I was watching some food video on Netflix last night and they mentioned that it's bad for you because of all the chemicals. I never even thought of that.

So. To grill or not to grill? That, is the question.

Do you grill? If not, did you and did you stop for such a reason?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

What chemicals?  Grilling, or cooking over an open fire, is how man has cooked since they first figured out how to cook, period.  Grilling is ideal, IMO, because the fat can drip off the meat and the veggies are roasted (doesn't leech out the vitamins).

LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Yesterday at 6:40 PM
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

What about a propane grill? I don't know. It was literally like a picture of a steak on a grill and one sentence that they said this. Shoot. What was the name of that movie? Hungry....oh

I looked it up. Hungry for Change.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM

The only issues I've heard is if you're cooking with charcoal.  Propane burns as a heat source, like wood.  I'm sure there are things given off into the air, but at this stage of civilization I personally believe those are the least of our worries.

We grill.  We also cook over an open fire at times.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I do grill. However, I never use charcoal lighter fluid, and I don't put food on the grill until the charcoal turns white. I also use the indirect method most of the time, and place the grill as far above the coals as possible.
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

We bbq all the time. We have a propane bbq. We also have charcoal, but it takes too long! LoL

linaS.83
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

We do not grill that often neither we  fry I usually bake I come from a culture where we bake so many dishes in  the oven I do chicken, meat, lamb and fish and for the dishes that I do not bake I boil my meat or chicken then put them with my rice and cook the rice.

wandep
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM

We grill! Love it. :)

K8WillBLast
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM

We grill all the time.  & as far as the propane goes...there's plenty houses that use propane as their only source.

mom2aspclboy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We grill & cook over/in an open wood fire. Our grill is propane, which burns clean. If you were to use charcoal briquettes with lighter fluid, now that is toxic. We're also careful about the wood we use in our firepit, totally avoiding any treated woods, because those are toxic too.

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

We grill year round.  Our grill is natural gas...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)