Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

I need ideas!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
  • 26 Replies

My husband is not a huge fan of vegetables.  When I say a 'not a huge fan', I mean he will eat the protein and starches of his meal and not touch the veggies.

I want to start cooking with lower carbs.  I don't want to cut them out, but I don't want pasta and rice with every meal.

Do you have any ideas and/or recipes to make healthier meals without him feeling like he's missing out on all of the starches??

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

go to www.genaw.com for a great assortment of low carb recipes

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I steam a head of cauliflower, mash it with butter and milk, then add sour cream, bacon, chives, and cheddar cheese for a mock twice baked potato casserole.  My family cleans it up!

Megan11587
by Megan on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I love you!  You have answers to all of my questions!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I melt 4 oz. of cream cheese and add 1 cup cheddar cheese, stir to mix then add to 16 oz. steamed broccoli.  Bacon bits and sliced green onion are encouraged, but optional. 

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I bake with almond and coconut flours, which are naturally lower in carbs and higher in fiber than whole wheat flour.  I make pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits, and "corn" bread with them.

Megan11587
by Megan on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I'll have to try that!  I do bake a lot and make my own pancake mix and such.  Does it taste much different?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I bake with almond and coconut flours, which are naturally lower in carbs and higher in fiber than whole wheat flour.  I make pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits, and "corn" bread with them.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Megan11587:

I love you!  You have answers to all of my questions!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have recipes, but I'm heading out to the store right now.  Check out my Rhonda's Home Kitchen group -- most of the low carb recipes are in the veggies post or the Paleo/primal cooking forum.

I'll copy some here when I get back, too.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

There's MORE flavor with the almond/coconut flours.  I don't have a pancake mix recipe that uses them, and they do work differently in a recipe than grain flours do.

Quoting Megan11587:

I'll have to try that!  I do bake a lot and make my own pancake mix and such.  Does it taste much different?

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

• Crustless Sausage Cheddar Quiche

• 6 to 8 oz. sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 c. half & half (I use evaporated milk)
    • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    • 1/8 tsp. pepper
    • 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.  Pour into a pie dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, until set or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Serve with sliced fresh tomatoes.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Twice-baked Non-potato casserole

• 1 head cauliflower, steamed until very tender and then mashed with butter, salt and pepper
  • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. full fat sour cream
  • 1 to 2 green onions, sliced
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 8 oz. bacon, cooked & crumbled

Mix cauliflower, sour cream, green onions, 1 c. cheddar cheese, and bacon.  Pour into baking dish.  Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake at 375° for 25 minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN