Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

My husband is not a huge fan of vegetables.  When I say a 'not a huge fan', I mean he will eat the protein and starches of his meal and not touch the veggies.

I want to start cooking with lower carbs.  I don't want to cut them out, but I don't want pasta and rice with every meal.

Do you have any ideas and/or recipes to make healthier meals without him feeling like he's missing out on all of the starches??

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

My family devoured this!  I loved it because it was quick prep and easy to make.

Mockaroni & cheese

• 1 head cauliflower or 16 oz. frozen cauliflower
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. heavy cream (milk will work)
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar (divided)
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook the cauliflower until tender; drain well. In a 1 1/2 quart casserole, mix cream cheese, 4 oz. cheddar, and cream.  Stir well until cream cheese is creamy and smooth. Stir in the green onions, salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and gently fold into the cheese sauce to coat well. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Top with the remaining 4 ounces cheese and bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.

Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

CHEESY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
14-16 ounce package frozen broccoli florets
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp

Cook the broccoli 4-5 minutes or just until tender-crisp; drain very well. Put in a greased 2-quart casserole. Mix in the cream cheese, cheddar, green onion, salt, pepper and bacon. Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly.

Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen

Per 1/4 Recipe: 278 Calories; 22g Fat; 14g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 185 Calories; 15g Fat; 10g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Not super low carb, but it's yummy!

Vegetables Au Gratin

* this is a delicious veggie side dish that everyone will enjoy!*

• 1 10 3/4 oz. can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 16 oz. bag frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix, thawed
  • 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese crackers, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Mix soup, cheese, and sour cream together.  Stir in veggies.  Put in a greased baking dish.  Mix melted butter and cheese cracker crumbs together with a fork and sprinkle evenly over veggie mixture.  Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Monterey Ranch Chicken

1 c. bread crumbs (I use almond flour)

1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1 pkg. ranch dressing mix (I make my own mix and used 1 Tbsp.)

1/2 c. to 3/4 c. mayonnaise

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine bread crumbs, cheese, and ranch dressing mix.  Dip the chicken in the mayonnaise or use a brush to coat both sides, then roll in the bread crumb mixture.  Arrange chicken in a 9 x 13 baking dish, sprinkle any remaining bread crumb mixture over chicken, and bake for 45 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I serve this over broccoli instead of rice

Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken & Ham (So Good!!!)

By truebrit on December 22, 2004

Photo

Photo by kiwidutch

29 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 8 hrs 10 mins
  • Servings: 6-8

About This Recipe

"This creamy crock pot meal is comfort food at its best! It reminds me of chicken cordon bleu, without the fuss!"

Ingredients

• 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    • 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup margarine
    • 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
    • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    • 1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
    • 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
    • 8 ounces fully cooked diced ham ( 1 cup)
    • cooked rice or pasta

Directions

1. Dice chicken, and place in crock pot.
  2. Cut butter into pieces, and distribute evenly over chicken.
  3. Sprinkle Italian seasoning and white pepper over top, and place lid on crock pot.
  4. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
  5. At end of cooking time, cut up the cream cheese, and drop into crock pot, together with the diced ham and chicken soup.
  6. Stir, then replace lid.
  7. Cook on high until cheese is melted.
  8. Serve hot over rice or pasta.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

SWISS MUSHROOM CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded flat if desired
Salt, pepper and your choice of seasonings
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
4 thin slices deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese, about 1 ounce each

Season the chicken as desired; grill or sauté till just done. Place the chicken in a large baking dish. Sauté the mushrooms in the butter until tender. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham, 1/4 of the mushrooms, then a slice of cheese. Bake at 350º for 15-20 minutes until everything is hot and the cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 325 Calories; 15g Fat; 41g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Provolone Smothered Chicken (low carb)

• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 small green pepper, sliced
  • 4 oz. can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
  • 6 slices bacon, halved
  • 4 slices provolone cheese

Place chicken breast in baking dish.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Top with onions, green pepper, and mushrooms.  Place 3 bacon strips on each breast.

Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and top each breast with one slice cheese.  Let sit until cheese is melted and serve.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Almond flour pizza crust:  (makes 1 crust)

2 c. almond flour

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 cup shredded Italian-mix cheese, or mix your own from mozzarella, parmesan, romano, and I've even used cheddar.

Preheat oven to 350°.  Whisk together flour, garlic powder, oregano, and salt.  In another bowl whisk together eggs and olive oil.  Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stir to combine.  Add cheese(s) and use hands to mix well and form into a ball.  Spread on a greased pizza pan.

At this point you can add your sauce and toppings and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or else bake for 4 to 5 minutes THEN add sauce and seasonings and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown in spots

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Low Carb Taco Bake

Crust:

• 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 c. heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (I will just use a handful)

Beat the cream cheese and eggs until smooth.  Add the cream and seasoning.  Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle cheese over the bottom.  Pour the egg mixture as evenly as possible.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before adding topping.

Topping:

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 3 tsp. taco seasoning
  • 1/4 c. tomato sauce
  • 4 oz. choped green chilies (I make this optional)
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (I used the rest of the bag after using 1 handful for the crust)
  • Additional toppings:  black olives, salsa, lettuce, diced fresh tomato, sour cream, etc.

Brown the hamburger, drain fat.  Stir in the seasoning, tomato sauce, and chilies.  Spread over the crust.  Top with cheese.  Reduce oven to 350 degrees, bake another 20 minutes or so until bubbly.  Serve with additional toppings of your choice.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The recipe doesn't specify how much spinach to use -- I use 2 c. fresh or a 10 oz. pkg. frozen.   I used ham when making this:

Spinach & Mushroom Frittata

Posted By Mrs.Edge On September 1, 2011 @ 12:29 pm In All Recipes,Eggs

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 10 eggs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 tbsp full fat coconut milk
  • 1 cp mushrooms, diced
  • 1 cup of meat of your choice
  • 1/4 cp chopped tomatoes
  • salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, dried parsley

The great thing about this recipe is it doesn’t have to be exact. You can add a couple more eggs, or cut back a few to add more veggies or meat. Almost any veggies or meat will do but I LOVE this particular combination. A frittata is the perfect dish to make with leftovers too! Just skip the sauteing of veggies.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook spinach in 1/4 cp water in covered pot for 2 minutes, just until wilted, drain & set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs & coconut milk. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper & parsley & give a final whisk.

Saute onions & mushrooms in the olive oil & coconut oil over medium heat in an oven proof skillet for 3 minutes. Add garlic & tomatoes & continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes, until onions are translucent. Add cooked spinach to the mix and lightly salt & pepper the mixture.

Add chopped meat of your choice (I used a leftover angus burger but ham, bacon, turkey, pork – anything would be delicious!) About 1 cup is a good amount to use. Mix thoroughly.

Spread mixture even into bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. Use spatula to lift up spinach mixture along sides of pan to let the egg mixture flow underneath.

Cook mixture on stove top on medium heat until about half set, put the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 13-15 minutes or until puffy & golden.

Finish by placing frittata under the broiler for up to a minute to get a deeper brown color & a bit of crispiness. Be very careful handling the skillet! It’s extremely hot once placed in the oven. Allow to cool before slicing. Makes 4-6 servings.

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/spinach-mushroom-frittata/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN