Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Weight loss: Not a good thing

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hey ladies, I'm a 16 year old mother of one and I have been having some weight loss issues. I don't really know what it is that's causing it but I thought I would run it by you before rushing off to the doctor without reason.

I had my son almost 7 months ago. When I became pregnant I was 98-103 lbs depending on where I was in my menstrual cycle. At the end of my pregnancy I was 134lbs. Not even two weeks after giving birth I dropped down to 98lbs again. Now, at the time, I had room in my stomach to eat so I was eating as much as I could fit. Slowly though, I've been losing more weight. I stopped eating as much cause I wasn't hungry anymore. Eating became a chore. But over the last 2 months I've been eating regardless of what my stomach says about it, excersizing as much as I can with my current situation in life and I'm STILL losing weight. I'm 87lbs today, AND I'm on my period so I have extra water weight. I have practically no fat and almost no muscle on me. I'm not happy about it. I'm only 5 ft 3 and I'm a pretty petite individual with a reasonably high metabolism. I have a mental condition and I'm not on any medication.

I suppose I want to know if there's anything you know that could cause me to lose weight, or if there's something I can do to counter it without having to go to the doctors. :/ Thanks

-wgiytpcshy.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Are you breastfeeding?  That'll make you lose weight.

What are you eating?

Stress will cause weight loss.

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Stop exercising 

wgiytpcshy
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

What are you eating?

No, I am not breast feeding.

Generally whatever I can find that has the most calaries in it.

I have been stressed lately but I have never lost weight from being stressed. >.> I usually handle stress pretty well and release frustration/etc in a reasonably healthy way.

wgiytpcshy
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Stop exercising 

That would pretty much mean me sitting in a chair all day every day. The only real exercise I get is doing house chores and occasionally running errands. :/

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Eat animal protein.  It's got calories AND protein that you need to build muscle.  Meats, eggs, hard cheese, cottage cheese (stay away from American cheese).  Eat foods with healthy fat like olives, avocado (do you like guacamole & chips?), coconut. Eat nuts (high in calories and healthy fats.)

Make sure to eat breakfast if you don't already.

I hate to say this because it goes against everything I believe, but you may need it in this case:  eat more whole grain breads, cereal, etc.   Eat plenty of fruit.  They'll raise your insulin levels and cause you to store more fat on your body.  Peanut butter is another food that will help you gain weight.  Protein/meal replacement bars between meals would be good.

With exercise, stay away from cardio.  That just burns calories.  Do weight/muscle training, which will burn calories but also build muscle.  Pushups, pullups, situps, planks, squats, lunges...they're all good.

Quoting wgiytpcshy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

What are you eating?

I have been stressed lately but I have never lost weight from being stressed. >.> I usually handle stress pretty well and release frustration/etc in a reasonably healthy way.

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Quoting wgiytpcshy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Stop exercising 

That would pretty much mean me sitting in a chair all day every day. The only real exercise I get is doing house chores and occasionally running errands. :/

You also need to eat more fattening foods and junk

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

wgiytpcshy
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

Eat animal protein.  It's got calories AND protein that you need to build muscle.  Meats, eggs, hard cheese, cottage cheese (stay away from American cheese).  Eat foods with healthy fat like olives, avocado (do you like guacamole & chips?), coconut. Eat nuts (high in calories and healthy fats.)

Make sure to eat breakfast if you don't already.

I hate to say this because it goes against everything I believe, but you may need it in this case:  eat more whole grain breads, cereal, etc.   Eat plenty of fruit.  They'll raise your insulin levels and cause you to store more fat on your body.  Peanut butter is another food that will help you gain weight.  Protein/meal replacement bars between meals would be good.

With exercise, stay away from cardio.  That just burns calories.  Do weight/muscle training, which will burn calories but also build muscle.  Pushups, pullups, situps, planks, squats, lunges...they're all good.

Quoting wgiytpcshy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

What are you eating?

Alright, I'll try to make a list and pick up things like that at the store on my next trip. Thank you.

ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Definitely see your doctor. 5'3 and only 87lbs is very unhealthy. Until then eat high calorie meals and cut back on the exercising. Do something of a lesser intensity, like walking.

wgiytpcshy
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Definitely see your doctor. 5'3 and only 87lbs is very unhealthy. Until then eat high calorie meals and cut back on the exercising. Do something of a lesser intensity, like walking.

Thanks. And I don't really exercise as much as like.... squating when I go to pick something up instead of bending at the waist. Stuff like that around the house. :/ I'll go to see a doctor if I can't pick up the weight soon.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Have your thyroid checked--it could be overactive. Also, add more protein and good fat, such as coconut oil, to your diet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN