Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

can anyone give me some healthy vegetarian, non dairy recipes??

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
Please and thank you, i just decided I would like to have a vegitarian life style but I have no idea how to cook imatation meat or tofu so it will taste good.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lzabierek
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

It sounds like you're more vegan? Unless you are having seafood. You should check out thekindlife.com which is a GREAT website for vegan cooking and foodgawker.com

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I made a vegetarian chili last night - 3 cans of beans drained and rinsed (I used kidney, black bean and Pink bean), a can of stewed tomatoes (or fresh is better of course!), one onion, cumin, chili powder and garlic to taste.  I added salt but I don't think it's really needed.

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Tofu scramble - saute onions, green pepper in a pan.  Add firm tofu that has been pressed and cut into cubes.  After about 3-5 minutes add tofu to the pan.  Add ginger powder and soy sauce.  It's very good and this is coming from someone who swore they would never eat tofu!

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Look up something called the Daniel Fast, they are a little stricter than vegan but have some great meals you can try.

shadenn766
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

i like zuchinni, and rice (fry zuch in olive oil season w/ chopped onions, garlic, black pepper)...yummyeating

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

good luck

shadenn766
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

sweet potato french fries/ or patties  (baked)...veggie soup, veggie wraps, mushroom burgers...i eat meatless meals all the time

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Tofu is super easy. Tofu is pre-cooked and doesn't taste like anything. So, you just cook it whatever you already have along with seasonings.  Can't think of seasonings?  Vegetable broth and/or soup mix is a great start :) :).

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I made black bean and quinoa tacos tonight. It was delicious! I got the recipe from a blog called budget bytes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amberstars
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Falafel

Serves 4

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 10-15 minutes

Ingredients:

1 lb 7 oz/650 g canned chickpeas, drained

1 red onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, crushed

3 ½ oz/100 g whole-wheat bread

2 small fresh red chilies

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

½ teaspoon ground turmeric

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra to garnish

Salt and pepper

1 egg, beaten

1 ¾ cups fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs

Vegetable oil, for deep-frying

Directions:

Place the chickpeas, onion, garlic, bread, chilies, spices, and fresh cilantro in a food processor and process for 30 seconds.  Stir and season well with salt and pepper.  Remove the mixture from the food process and shape into walnut-size balls or flatten into small patties.

Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl and place the whole-wheat bread crumbs on a plate.  Dip the balls or patties into the egg to coat, then roll them in bread crumbs, shaking off any excess.

Heat the oil for deep-frying in a large, heavy bottom pan to 350°F/180°C, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.  Deep-fry the falafel, in batches, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.

Remove the falafels from the oil with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.  Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Cook's Tip:

Serve the falafel with a cilantro and yogurt sauce.  Mix 2/3 cup plain yogurt with 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro and 1 crushed garlic clove.

Autumn Root Vegetable Chili

Makes 4 servings Prep 25 minutes Cook 33 minutes

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 small onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, sliced

1 butternut squash (about 1 ½ lbs.), peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes

½ lb. parsnips, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick half moons

½ lb. white turnips, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick half moons

½ lb. carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick half moons

1 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced

2 cans (14 ½-oz. each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes

¼ cup chili powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed

½ cup cilantro, chopped

4 scallions, chopped

Lime wedges for garnish

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add squash, parsnips, turnips, and carrots.  Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add green pepper, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin.  Simmer on medium heat, partially covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add beans and heat through.  Stir in cilantro.

Sprinkle each portion with some of the scallions and place lime wedges on the side.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

amberstars
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Veggie Paella

Makes 6 servings Prep 20 minutes

Drain overnight Cook 25 minutes

Bake at 400° for 20  minutes

1 package (14 oz.) extra-firm tofu, drained

4 tablespoons olive oil

¾ plus 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt

1 head cauliflower, trimmed, cored, and cut into florets

1 green pepper, cored and diced

1 medium onion, chopped

1 package (10 oz) yellow rice (such as Vigo)

3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced

1 cup frozen peas, thawed

•1.      Cut tofu into ¾-inch cubes.  Spread between layers of paper towels on a plate.  Drain in refrigerator overnight.

•2.      Heat oven to 400°.  Toss tofu cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil and ¼ teaspoon of the seasoned salt.  Spread onto a foil-lined sheet and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.

•3.      Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large, lidded skillet over medium heat.  Add cauliflower, pepper and onion; sauté for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt.

•4.      Stir in rice mix, tomatoes, and 2 ½ cups water.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook 18 to 20 minutes.  Uncover and gently stir in baked tofu and peas.  Heat through. 

Per serving 380 calories; Fat (2 g SAT); 16 g PRO; 53 g CARB; 6 g Fiber; 792 mg SODIUM; 0 mg CHOL

Here is a recipe I invented when we were starving and only had vegetables and spaghetti to hold us for the next month.

Vegan Spaghetti (this is enough for 2 people)

Ingredients:

• Half a box of spaghetti
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 big red pepper
  • 1 big green pepper
  • Chopped green beans (however many you want)
  • One stalk of broccoli (cut the broccoli florets from the stalk)

Directions:

1. Fill big pot with water and put spaghetti in it. (I just cook the spaghetti on medium-high and put some seasoned salt in with it)
  2. Put some oil in a little pot
  3. Chop onion and put onion into little pot and sauté until the onion cooks on medium-high
  4. Chop up your 2 peppers (the green and red) and put those in once the onion is cooked
  5. Put some more oil on top of the vegetables and mix together to make shiny
  6. Chop up the green beans and put those in
  7. Put tomatoes in and sauté all together.
  8. Cover and keep cooking on medium high letting steam go around the vegetables for 15 minutes
  9. Then put the broccoli in and cook that some more until it  is cooked (By this time spaghetti should be done so drain that and turn off the burner that you cooked the spaghetti on)
  10. Mix the vegetables again (just like mix them together again in pot until their cooked and then turn that off)
  11. Serve spaghetti on plates and then use a soup ladle and spoon the vegetable mixture in the middle of each plate of pasta
  12. Refrigerate leftovers.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)