Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

can anyone give me some healthy vegetarian, non dairy recipes??

Posted by   + Show Post
Please and thank you, i just decided I would like to have a vegitarian life style but I have no idea how to cook imatation meat or tofu so it will taste good.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM
Replies (21-22):
sunshinepraying
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Thanks!

Quoting Lzabierek:

You can get tofu from anywhere, even Walmart. As far as the chocolate chips, if you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's, they would have them. Otherwise you would probably have to go to some kind of specialty health store.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Where do you usually get the tofu from? I love tofu, but have a hard time figuring out where to get it. Can you get it from a regular food store or would you only recommend the specialty stores?

Thank you for the recipe. That sounds really good! I might have to make some for myself while making some for my neighbor ;) Also, where do you find dairy-free chocolate chips? I never thought about the dairy part of them until the last time I went to make something and saw that on the recipe.

Quoting Lzabierek:

For tofu, I either blend some silken tofu in my smoothies or I get the extra firm tofu & grill it! It's really good if you just put some kind of glaze or marinade. You could do like a teriyaki glazed tofu with some pineapple on the grill :)

Chocolate chip cookies

(you can substitute the soy milk with any kind of non dairy milk & the nuts are always optional :) it's actually very easy & they taste the SAME! :))

Directions

• In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  • Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

I appologize, I missed the dairy part. I don't eat seafood either. I'm a "lacto-ovo vegetarian" (the most common type, which eats diary and eggs, but no fish, poultry or other kinds of meat). There is also an "ovo-vegetarian", which eats eggs, but no dairy products, fish, poultry, or other meat. And then vegans eat just plant-based foods and no animal products or by-products, including honey, according to the chart I have. It's cool that there are so many different types. :) There's also semi-vegetarian and pesco-vegetarians.

Anyway, do you have any recommendations on making vegan-type foods without having to buy the costly vegan substitute items? My neighbor is vegan and I'd love to make him cookies or cake or something, like I do with the other neighbors, but I have trouble finding and affording to get the specialty items to make it often.

I'm going to check out that site you put here as well. Although I am not vegan, I still enjoy vegan foods as well..I love tofu :) And if I can find some easy directions, I might start making some. Thanks for sharing it

Quoting Lzabierek:

I understand that. But she stated she wanted recipes for "imitation meat / tofu" AND non dairy ingredients. If she isn't having seafood either, then it would be technically vegan.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

There are different kinds of vegetarians. For example, I eat dairy, but that's it... So just eggs, cheese, and milk from animals, but that's pretty much it.

Quoting Lzabierek:

It sounds like you're more vegan? Unless you are having seafood. You should check out thekindlife.com which is a GREAT website for vegan cooking and foodgawker.com

sara_7106
by Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Great recipes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN