Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

How do you...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

save money when buying fresh veggies and fruits? Do you buy organic? 

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
wandep
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM

We tend to spend $500 a month on a family of 4 for groceries...something has to give. We don't do coupons because we usually don't find coupons worth getting that fit our needs. We buy fresh fruits and veggies not organic ones. I would like to go organic tho. The budget has to give....We only have a few stores here in town most of them are Publix which are way over priced, Walmart, Winn Dixie which is a bit far for us to drive. So, someone mentioned to me about Annie's Organic Produce Buying Club. I am looking into this to buy organic fruits and veggies. Has anyone purchased fruits & veggies from a club like this? How did you like it? Did it save you money? Thanks for all the tips in advance.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't buy organic, only because we can't afford it.  What I DO stick with are foods that are in season and frozen produce if possible.  Sure, you can't make a salad with frozen lettuce and tomatoes, but frozen produce is processed much more quickly than fresh is even shipped....then think about how long a lot of the fresh foods will sit in the back of the grocery store before they're put on the shelf, then how long they can stay on the shelf.  Produce tends to start losing important vitamin C as soon as it's harvested, so it's ideal to get that stopped (freezing will do that) as soon as possible.

I buy fresh sweet potatoes, apples, tomatoes for salads, salad greens, carrots, and celery...and anything fresh that I need for a recipe.  I buy frozen broccoli (good source of vitamin C), frozen berries, frozen peppers, frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix, frozen green beans & carrots mix, and I freeze carrots, peas, some beans, squash, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries from my garden.

mandee1503
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't buy organic. Most of it is twice as much as the regular stuff. We buy plain veggies, sometimes frozen. We do shop at the Farmer's market, and get stuff from family and friends gardens.

wandep
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yeah I wish we had cheaper farmer's markets here in town. We have a few around but they are way over priced. lol The Annie's buying club that I found seems to be reasonable for organic veggies and fruits. You can get a box of mixed veggies and fruit for $50 suppose to last you about 2 weeks if stored correctly. I am not sure how much is in the boxes but feeds a family of 4. I've seen pictures on fb of what has been done in the past and it looks like a lot of food. 

tightropemom
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
In the spring you might want to see if there is any organic co ops. A friend of mine does this and gets tons of organic veg and fruit each week, when it is in season. I think it is pretty cheap too!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I don't always buy organic but we are fortunate in that we have several year round farmer's markets near our home.  The produce is only local in season but it is very good quality otherwise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN