Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

IBS: Question about FODMAT's diet

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

My gastro just placed me on the FODMAP diet.  I am very familiar with reading food labels, etc.....I have two children with severe food allergies to more foods than I can count on all of my appendeges :/.

But that being said , I have a question.

It says to avoid gluten products "in high quantities".  What does that mean?  Like, if I eat a sandwhich for lunch, that's my entire wheat allowance for the day?  Or does that mean not eating wheat every meal and snack?  Its hard going wheat free suddenly, but I have noticed Idon't eat as much wheat products as I used to.  I use quinoa noodles, I eat rice cereal for breakfast.  Just wondering what quantities they are talking about :).

Thanks

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Not sure what THEY mean, but I used to have IBS...until I cut all grains/grain foods out of my diet.  No bread, crackers, pasta, cereals, or anything made with grains.  I haven't had a bout of IBS in two years, not even when my stress level skyrockets.

Quinoa is not a grain so it should be okay, and white rice doesn't have the things that do damage to our bodies so it's okay.  Gluten is found mostly in wheat, barley, and rye products.

Quoting corrinacs:

My gastro just placed me on the FODMAP diet.  I am very familiar with reading food labels, etc.....I have two children with severe food allergies to more foods than I can count on all of my appendeges :/.

It says to avoid gluten products "in high quantities".  What does that mean?  Like, if I eat a sandwhich for lunch, that's my entire wheat allowance for the day?  Or does that mean not eating wheat every meal and snack?  Its hard going wheat free suddenly, but I have noticed Idon't eat as much wheat products as I used to.  I use quinoa noodles, I eat rice cereal for breakfast.  Just wondering what quantities they are talking about :).

Thanks

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Oh thank you :).  I am working ever closer to being gluten free (wheat free).  I will have to see if the items I have has "grains" in it.  I have been getting more rice products.  Is corn a grain or is that technically called maize in the diet arena?  I don't think its related anyway.

And we love quinoa noodles around here :).  I was able to switch that out easily.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Not sure what THEY mean, but I used to have IBS...until I cut all grains/grain foods out of my diet.  No bread, crackers, pasta, cereals, or anything made with grains.  I haven't had a bout of IBS in two years, not even when my stress level skyrockets.

Quinoa is not a grain so it should be okay, and white rice doesn't have the things that do damage to our bodies so it's okay.  Gluten is found mostly in wheat, barley, and rye products.

Quoting corrinacs:

Thanks

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Technically, corn is a grain....the most sugary, starchy grain there is.  

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/corn-is-not-a-vegetable/#axzz2IzDMZL00

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/#axzz2IzE7AePr

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/#axzz2IzE7AePr

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh thank you :).  I am working ever closer to being gluten free (wheat free).  I will have to see if the items I have has "grains" in it.  I have been getting more rice products.  Is corn a grain or is that technically called maize in the diet arena?  I don't think its related anyway.

And we love quinoa noodles around here :).  I was able to switch that out easily.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting corrinacs:

Thanks

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you so much.  See, shows you how much I know about it LOL.  Its relatively new to me thinking of foods in this manner.  Like I said, with allergies, Im used to reading food labels, but I never really got into what things "technically" are :).   Allergies are usually to specific foods, like corn.

Thank you for giving me these links as well, gives me something to read about the subject :).

Quoting michiganmom116:

Technically, corn is a grain....the most sugary, starchy grain there is.  

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/corn-is-not-a-vegetable/#axzz2IzDMZL00

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/#axzz2IzE7AePr

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/#axzz2IzE7AePr

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting corrinacs:

Thanks

momofsixangels
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thanks for the info! I have ibs and this is going to help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)