Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Barium Swallow: What to expect?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am going to the hospitals oral rehabilitation department tomorrow to have a barium swallow test done to figure out why food gets stuck in my gullet quite often.

I have no clue waht to expect.  How much barium will I have to drink?  From the sounds of it, hopefully not much since its my esophagus they are looking at.

Any of you done this before?  How was it and what turned up?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM

MY son has had several done. They mix it, and it doesn't taste good, but you will have to drink probably a cups worth at least. You sit or lay down in front of a live x-ray machine, and they watch the fluid go down.

Good luck!

liveforever
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I did it and had to drink a ton. I was in for my whole GI tract though. It does not taste good at all. I drank about a Dixie cups worth and had to stand up in an stay machine that tilts you back. After that I had a very large cups worth to drink and had to lay down for more xrays.

When the test is over make sure you drink lots of water to help flush it out. The barium test didn't show it but I was later diagnosed with crohns disease. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I'm hoping its about a cup worth.  I had to drink that stuff for an intestinal review and they gave me two huge containers full of it (had to be 2-3 cups a peice) and I had to drink BOTH of them before coming in.  I got halfway done with the second one and told them if I drank anymore, I was going to lose it all on their floor.  Luckily, they said I was small enough it probably was fine.

But a cup, I can handle that.

Quoting mandee1503:

MY son has had several done. They mix it, and it doesn't taste good, but you will have to drink probably a cups worth at least. You sit or lay down in front of a live x-ray machine, and they watch the fluid go down.

Good luck!

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I did the one for the entire GI tract and OMG, I thought I was going to die.  They gave me two complete huge containers.  I couldn't finish teh second container....luckiyl they were nice enough to me about it ('m small enough).

But, for the actual test for the esophagus, you just had to drink about a dixie cup worht?  I'm hoping that's what it is....I can manage that ;).

Yeah, I'll be bringing tons of water.  That stuff can back you up like no one's business.  I wish the place I had my whole GI tract done had said something though........they didn't even say much about drinknig water, it was horrible :(

Speaking of Crohn's disease, what are your symptoms?  My mom has it but won't talk about it too much (I am nto one for asking).

I know my overall situation is realated to my gallbladdar.  My ejection fraction was 94% (supposed to be more like 40%).  They had me take antibiotics, and nope......in fact, my lunch today gave me gall bladdar and stomache cramps (Pad Thai, I eat it all the time).  She also has me on a FodMap diet, so we will see how that helps too.  Wishing I felt better :(

How are you manaing your Crohns?

Quoting liveforever:

I did it and had to drink a ton. I was in for my whole GI tract though. It does not taste good at all. I drank about a Dixie cups worth and had to stand up in an stay machine that tilts you back. After that I had a very large cups worth to drink and had to lay down for more xrays.

When the test is over make sure you drink lots of water to help flush it out. The barium test didn't show it but I was later diagnosed with crohns disease. Good luck!

liveforever
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Oh wow I cant believe they didnt tell you to drink a lot of water! 

My symptoms were abdominal pain, diarrhea, fevers, rapid weight loss, mouth sores, blood in stool, joint pain, and being tired all the time. With all those hitting me as a teen and the symptoms causing me to fear leaving the house I also became depressed. I also learned later on that my really bad dry skin is related.

I started getting sick at 13 and wasnt diagnosed until right before my 18th birthday. I had dropped from 157 lbs to 125. Eating bread would make me sick some days. Once diagnosed I was put on Asacol and felt a lot better. Im actually in remission now. As long as I dont do something stupid like eat a ton of fast food Im symptom free.

I hope theyre able to figure something out for you soon!

Quoting corrinacs:

I did the one for the entire GI tract and OMG, I thought I was going to die.  They gave me two complete huge containers.  I couldn't finish teh second container....luckiyl they were nice enough to me about it ('m small enough).

But, for the actual test for the esophagus, you just had to drink about a dixie cup worht?  I'm hoping that's what it is....I can manage that ;).

Yeah, I'll be bringing tons of water.  That stuff can back you up like no one's business.  I wish the place I had my whole GI tract done had said something though........they didn't even say much about drinknig water, it was horrible :(

Speaking of Crohn's disease, what are your symptoms?  My mom has it but won't talk about it too much (I am nto one for asking).

I know my overall situation is realated to my gallbladdar.  My ejection fraction was 94% (supposed to be more like 40%).  They had me take antibiotics, and nope......in fact, my lunch today gave me gall bladdar and stomache cramps (Pad Thai, I eat it all the time).  She also has me on a FodMap diet, so we will see how that helps too.  Wishing I felt better :(

Quoting liveforever:

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Holy cow, my symptoms are not quite like that.  But they do get so bad that I don't want to leave the house.....and yes, that caused me quite a bit of depression as well :( :(.  I even have instances of that happening these days.  In fact, I did after lunch :(.

I get severe abdonminal cramps, sometimes making me go into fetal position.  These instances are not that often.  I can't gain a pound to save my life, and as soon as I do I get an "attack" and lose every inch of fat that was on me.  I will be sitting there just fine, and suddently out of nowhere I feel lightheaded and like I'm going to throw up everything I ate in the last 10 days.  I rarely ever do, but its caused me to have to pull over quite a few times while driving.  I go from severely constipated to explosive diareah faster than you can say "toilet paper?".

My doctor already suggested IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and has me starting a Fodmap diet as well as probiotics.  I am slowly getting into the Fodmap diet, but I'm having a hard time.  I NEED protein and fat in my diet, and I'm finding it difficult to find protein supplements that are congruent with the Fodmap diet (they are typically made of whey or soy, which is a no no....besides I'm allergic to milk).  I'm trying to gain weight the other way (putting on muscle) and I can't do that without protein :/.

Ive had these attacks ever since I can remember.  When I was a kid, they would happen to me particularly at night.  Nowadays, it doesn't descriminate, but it enjoys getting bad right before I want to do something I want to do (go on a date with DH, going out with friends, etc).

As for this test, we are determining what is causing food to be stuck in my gullet.  Bread is the worst for this, but really any food.  Pills also do it.  I will be eating something just fine, and then all of a sudden it feels that its "stuck".  Its quite painful and I have to drink GULPS of water to get it down....not without a ton of pain either :(.  My thoughts are thinking possible EoE (its questioned that my baby son has it as well).

I hope they figure it out.  I am glad they did figure it out for you and that you are on remission.  As I said, my mom has Crohn's.  She has to have surgery about once every 10 years after an "attack" out of nowhere.  Her intestines kill itself off, and she has to have inches of it removed each time.  She's been hacked up more than anyone I know :(. 

Quoting liveforever:

Oh wow I cant believe they didnt tell you to drink a lot of water! 

My symptoms were abdominal pain, diarrhea, fevers, rapid weight loss, mouth sores, blood in stool, joint pain, and being tired all the time. With all those hitting me as a teen and the symptoms causing me to fear leaving the house I also became depressed. I also learned later on that my really bad dry skin is related.

I started getting sick at 13 and wasnt diagnosed until right before my 18th birthday. I had dropped from 157 lbs to 125. Eating bread would make me sick some days. Once diagnosed I was put on Asacol and felt a lot better. Im actually in remission now. As long as I dont do something stupid like eat a ton of fast food Im symptom free.

I hope theyre able to figure something out for you soon!

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting liveforever:

liveforever
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Ugh that sounds awful :(

What is the Fodmop diet? I havent heard of that. They told me IBS when I first started going in. Sometimes I think its a starting point for them with anything digestive. You have IBS until they figure out whats really wrong lol. They said the same thing to my best friend. She has bad constipation, ulcers in her stomach, and the same problem you do with swallowing. She can only take medicine in liquid form or really tiny pills.

Youre mom sounds like she has it really bad, that has to be awful. Im lucky mine is considered mild. Ive never had to take steroids or have any surguries. I hope it stays that was as I get older.

Quoting corrinacs:

Holy cow, my symptoms are not quite like that.  But they do get so bad that I don't want to leave the house.....and yes, that caused me quite a bit of depression as well :( :(.  I even have instances of that happening these days.  In fact, I did after lunch :(.

I get severe abdonminal cramps, sometimes making me go into fetal position.  These instances are not that often.  I can't gain a pound to save my life, and as soon as I do I get an "attack" and lose every inch of fat that was on me.  I will be sitting there just fine, and suddently out of nowhere I feel lightheaded and like I'm going to throw up everything I ate in the last 10 days.  I rarely ever do, but its caused me to have to pull over quite a few times while driving.  I go from severely constipated to explosive diareah faster than you can say "toilet paper?".

My doctor already suggested IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and has me starting a Fodmap diet as well as probiotics.  I am slowly getting into the Fodmap diet, but I'm having a hard time.  I NEED protein and fat in my diet, and I'm finding it difficult to find protein supplements that are congruent with the Fodmap diet (they are typically made of whey or soy, which is a no no....besides I'm allergic to milk).  I'm trying to gain weight the other way (putting on muscle) and I can't do that without protein :/.

Ive had these attacks ever since I can remember.  When I was a kid, they would happen to me particularly at night.  Nowadays, it doesn't descriminate, but it enjoys getting bad right before I want to do something I want to do (go on a date with DH, going out with friends, etc).

As for this test, we are determining what is causing food to be stuck in my gullet.  Bread is the worst for this, but really any food.  Pills also do it.  I will be eating something just fine, and then all of a sudden it feels that its "stuck".  Its quite painful and I have to drink GULPS of water to get it down....not without a ton of pain either :(.  My thoughts are thinking possible EoE (its questioned that my baby son has it as well).

I hope they figure it out.  I am glad they did figure it out for you and that you are on remission.  As I said, my mom has Crohn's.  She has to have surgery about once every 10 years after an "attack" out of nowhere.  Her intestines kill itself off, and she has to have inches of it removed each time.  She's been hacked up more than anyone I know :(. 

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM

The Fodmap diet is a diet that restricts thet amount of certain things that cause IBS to flare up, if you will.  Here's more information on it: http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet

When I first started with teh gastro, he was CONVINCED it was GERD.  Kept giving me all sorts of pills......and they did NOTHING.  We did an EGD and confirmed I did in fact NOT have GERD or anything like that.  

I finally asked to speak with the doctor's assistant (she's much nicer) and she started asking me TONS of questions.  She's the one that suggested IBS and has had me do a myriad of tests to figure all this out.  So far, its led me to gallbladdar issues not treated with antibiotics.  My next step is going to be surgery :(.  Hopefully that doesnt' hurt my fat content LOL.

The swallowing this is much lesser issue.  Did your friend ever figure out waht was going on with her?  I'm interested in knowing.  I thought everyone had this problem once in a while....but apparently, its super NOT common and super BAD LOL

Quoting liveforever:

What is the Fodmop diet? I havent heard of that. They told me IBS when I first started going in. Sometimes I think its a starting point for them with anything digestive. You have IBS until they figure out whats really wrong lol. They said the same thing to my best friend. She has bad constipation, ulcers in her stomach, and the same problem you do with swallowing. She can only take medicine in liquid form or really tiny pills.

Youre mom sounds like she has it really bad, that has to be awful. Im lucky mine is considered mild. Ive never had to take steroids or have any surguries. I hope it stays that was as I get older.

Quoting corrinacs:

liveforever
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I went through tons of tests before they figured it out. The trouble with digestive issues is that the syptoms can be related to sooo many things. 

My friend doesnt know whats wrong yet. She mentioned a drs appt coming up but Im not sure if its for the swallowing or her stomach, shes supposed to have a colonoscopy soon.

Quoting corrinacs:

The Fodmap diet is a diet that restricts thet amount of certain things that cause IBS to flare up, if you will.  Here's more information on it: http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet

When I first started with teh gastro, he was CONVINCED it was GERD.  Kept giving me all sorts of pills......and they did NOTHING.  We did an EGD and confirmed I did in fact NOT have GERD or anything like that.  

I finally asked to speak with the doctor's assistant (she's much nicer) and she started asking me TONS of questions.  She's the one that suggested IBS and has had me do a myriad of tests to figure all this out.  So far, its led me to gallbladdar issues not treated with antibiotics.  My next step is going to be surgery :(.  Hopefully that doesnt' hurt my fat content LOL.

The swallowing this is much lesser issue.  Did your friend ever figure out waht was going on with her?  I'm interested in knowing.  I thought everyone had this problem once in a while....but apparently, its super NOT common and super BAD LOL

Quoting liveforever:

corrinacs
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Wow, good luck to her!!!!  Not to pry in on her life, but I'm curious about what it could be too :).

Quoting liveforever:

I went through tons of tests before they figured it out. The trouble with digestive issues is that the syptoms can be related to sooo many things. 

My friend doesnt know whats wrong yet. She mentioned a drs appt coming up but Im not sure if its for the swallowing or her stomach, shes supposed to have a colonoscopy soon.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting liveforever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)