Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Slow Cooker Meat Loaf

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

I posted this once before MONTHS and MONTHS ago, only the photo I took was awful. I didn't know how to get the loaf out of the crock pot without making a complete MESS of it. So, the picture I had made the meat look... well, less than appetizing!!! It was in odd-shaped chunks and such. LOL. I am sure no one tried it due to the bad photo... which is a shame, because this really is a GREAT dish, if you like meat loaf!

I subbed in ground turkey for the ground beef this time, and that worked great. Just as delicious! The sauce is made with cayenne pepper, ketchup and dijon mustand (that's how it gets that yellow-ish tint to it). It also gives it a little bit of a kick.

I actually add 1/4t of cayenne to the actually meat mixture, too, before I cook it. Technically the recipe says only in the sauce, but I like the flavoring it gives to the meat, too.

This is a BIG HIT with my kids. Every single one of them had SECONDS tonight and my son had THIRDS. My picky, picky son... who rarely eats anything I make... had THIRDS. Amazing!

Here is the recipe:

http://www.letscrockandroll.com/#!/2012/09/slow-cooker-meatloaffrom-michelle.html

For those interested in the tin foil trick for removing a meat loaf from a crock pot:

Cut a piece of tin foil that is about 22" in length. Use scissors to cut the piece into four, equal-sized strips. Lay the strips in the crock pot like the spokes of a wheel... Across the middle like a cross and then two diagonals. The pieces should extend up the sides, too. (Form them to the edges of the inside of the pot.) Spray them with cooking spray before putting the meat in. When you place the meat in, press the meat down so it is fitted to the pot and flat on top. After cooking use two hands to grab all the top pieces of the strips and lift! The loaf will come right out in one piece.

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
starwarsmomof2
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Can't wait to try this! DH and DD are meatloaf addicts! Now I can put it on the morning, instead of rushing around after work!you rock

mom2aspclboy
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I like this idea. Usually I make meatloaves in bulk & freeze them raw to be able to just pull one out when I need something quick for dinner, but sometimes I don't have time to prepare them ahead of time and baking one this way would be perfect.

Thanks so much!

momofsixangels
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I have to try this.I use turkey meat a lot with or instead of beef

Threes.Company
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I do the same!  The one in the picture was made with turkey. :)

My web server was not working, so I took off the custom domain.  You can find the recipe here:

Letscrockandroll.blogspot.com

Quoting momofsixangels:

I have to try this.I use turkey meat a lot with or instead of beef

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

thanks for sharing. 

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I was going to suggest the aluminum foil trick, but I see you found it. You could also use a crockpot liner.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Looks really yummy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)