Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Thyroid cancer/Radiation/Natural alternative/HELP PLEASE!!!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove my thyroid due to cancer. Turns out it was the agressive kind, and they want me to do radiation (radio-active-iodine?). Though a lympth node came back negative, I guess its a precautious thing they do? I meet w/ my endocrinologist Monday and will find out more then.

I don't know much about radiation, but it scares me. They said I can't be around my kids for 4-5 days.

Can you guys give me an information on radiation....Do you know of an alternative thats natural? I've heard of aloe vera juice and acv killing cancer cells or slowing their growth. Or if I do go the radiation route, what can I do to help my body naturally heal from it? Or rid the radiation out of my body after?  Or does that defeat the purpose?

Help, advice, encouraging stories, anything please! Thank you!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

One of my best friends had this very thing.  She had her thyroid removed and refused radiation because she was responsible for taking care of her ailing grandmother at the time along with two young children.  Her doctor allowed her to refuse, but they did bloodwork every 3 months to watch it. That was several years ago. She is still cancer-free, as far as I know.

The ONE factor that her doctor said she had going for her was that she grew/raised just about every bite of food they ate, and it was all organic...no pesticides/herbicides, no GM foods.

I've heard great things about graviola extract reducing/eliminating cancerous growths.

theirmommy04
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Quoting michiganmom116:

One of my best friends had this very thing.  She had her thyroid removed and refused radiation because she was responsible for taking care of her ailing grandmother at the time along with two young children.  Her doctor allowed her to refuse, but they did bloodwork every 3 months to watch it. That was several years ago. She is still cancer-free, as far as I know.

The ONE factor that her doctor said she had going for her was that she grew/raised just about every bite of food they ate, and it was all organic...no pesticides/herbicides, no GM foods.

I've heard great things about graviola extract reducing/eliminating cancerous growths.

i have changed our diet a lot, but its still not 100%. I don't even know if i trust blood work because just before the nodule was found, I had my physical where they took blood checking for everything and it did not pick this up.

Thanks for your reply. I am so torn :-/
wandep
feeling happy :)
Yesterday at 4:37 PM
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Hope things will be okay. I have no clue but will say a litlte prayer for you.

theirmommy04
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting wandep:

Hope things will be okay. I have no clue but will say a litlte prayer for you.

Much appreciated...thanks.
AromaDrops33
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Lemongrass, Lemon, and Frankincense essential oils can all help with killing cancer cells. If you'd like more detailed information please feel free to message me, good luck and ill be saying prayers for you

theirmommy04
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Thank you! I have an appt Monday at a naturopath- hopefully that will go well! I would love more info if you wouldnt mind emailing it to me...
jonimac70
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I had Thyroid Cancer in 1984 & had my thyroid removed - no treatments the tumors were in the gland on both sides - Last August 2012  a tumor on the right side where my thyroid used to be and it too was thyroid cancer - didn't no I could have it again, however Dr says you have parathyroids on the outer areas that they don't take out - or said they may have dropped some almost 30 yrs ago!  Wanted me to see a radiologist but never did, I believe in taking natural supplements and got on a  (Cancer Protocol) also on a no sugar diet (Doug Kaufman Phase 1 & Phase 2 Diet) to rid my body of fungus - Cancer feeds off sugar!  I am 60 yrs old and I also had a petscan & has a little minute spot to light up on the left side of my neck so Dr said in 3 mos we check it with a CatScan with contrast (dye thing) had that in Dec - saw Dr end of December it was gone!! Praise God!  I continue to stay pretty close to the diet - have slipped occasionally - but I faithfully take the products -  I will be happy to tell you the ones I take if you are interested.  What was the name of your thyroid cancer, there are 4 types!  Wish you the best of luck!  My email is jtmc@mediastreamus.net  if I can help in any way!

theirmommy04
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Quoting jonimac70:

I had Thyroid Cancer in 1984 & had my thyroid removed - no treatments the tumors were in the gland on both sides - Last August 2012  a tumor on the right side where my thyroid used to be and it too was thyroid cancer - didn't no I could have it again, however Dr says you have parathyroids on the outer areas that they don't take out - or said they may have dropped some almost 30 yrs ago!  Wanted me to see a radiologist but never did, I believe in taking natural supplements and got on a  (Cancer Protocol) also on a no sugar diet (Doug Kaufman Phase 1 & Phase 2 Diet) to rid my body of fungus - Cancer feeds off sugar!  I am 60 yrs old and I also had a petscan & has a little minute spot to light up on the left side of my neck so Dr said in 3 mos we check it with a CatScan with contrast (dye thing) had that in Dec - saw Dr end of December it was gone!! Praise God!  I continue to stay pretty close to the diet - have slipped occasionally - but I faithfully take the products -  I will be happy to tell you the ones I take if you are interested.  What was the name of your thyroid cancer, there are 4 types!  Wish you the best of luck!  My email is jtmc@mediastreamus.net  if I can help in any way!

Wow, I find your story so encouraging! Thank you for sharing! I have an appointment with a naturopathic dr Monday - praying it goes well. I will try to email you by the end of the wknd; would love to know more! Thank you!
crazybluedaisy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

cancer cannot live in an akaline environment, so research what to eat to boost alkalinity and avoid becoming acidic. 

medeak
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM

joined only as saw your post on google alert for thyroid cancer.  Went through radioactive iodine last May and the worst part was being off all thyroid meds for scan afterwards.  It was amazing what a little organ controls in our bodies .  The radioactivie iodine sounds worse than it is...my oncologist told us to not over react and we were living in a motorhome for treatment and in close quarters.  It breaks down quickly but just keep kids 4 ft away.  It's an epidemic and was shocked at how many young woman were in waiting rooms for top thyroid surgeon.  Have lived vegetarian life...there is no blame except for environment.  My childhood friend and I both diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer at same time (we were down winders from nuclear test site as kids)  It's almost always caused by radiation exposure and why so many now is a concern.  The good news is that it's a very slow growing cancer and oncologists tell me if am clean next scan will not reoccur for 10 yrs (and will be slow growing)  The only concern is advancing to esophagus.  Am not an md but research has shown that black raspberry helps with that.  Understand that it is a scary diagnosis but as we are told "the best cancer to have"  Doesn't help the anxiety does it!  With small children so much harder and you are in my thoughts...hope you have good support system to help with kids and try to find ways to take the anxiety away. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)