Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Thyroid cancer/Radiation/Natural alternative/HELP PLEASE!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove my thyroid due to cancer. Turns out it was the agressive kind, and they want me to do radiation (radio-active-iodine?). Though a lympth node came back negative, I guess its a precautious thing they do? I meet w/ my endocrinologist Monday and will find out more then.

I don't know much about radiation, but it scares me. They said I can't be around my kids for 4-5 days.

Can you guys give me an information on radiation....Do you know of an alternative thats natural? I've heard of aloe vera juice and acv killing cancer cells or slowing their growth. Or if I do go the radiation route, what can I do to help my body naturally heal from it? Or rid the radiation out of my body after?  Or does that defeat the purpose?

Help, advice, encouraging stories, anything please! Thank you!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Replies (11-13):
theirmommy04
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes, my youngest isn't even 2 yet and we practice AP so staying 4ft (or 6ft like I was told) is not possible. Also, I was told I couldn't be around ANY kids whatsoever for 10 days. Adults I could be around (6ft apart). There are many down sides to radioactive iodine (short and long term) and I would just rather a natural route first. Also, I had a different cancer. Papillary? The more aggressive of the thyroid - yet still a good prognosis. Anyways, going to naturopath tomorrow and will hopefully walk away with some good news :)

Quoting medeak:

joined only as saw your post on google alert for thyroid cancer.  Went through radioactive iodine last May and the worst part was being off all thyroid meds for scan afterwards.  It was amazing what a little organ controls in our bodies .  The radioactivie iodine sounds worse than it is...my oncologist told us to not over react and we were living in a motorhome for treatment and in close quarters.  It breaks down quickly but just keep kids 4 ft away.  It's an epidemic and was shocked at how many young woman were in waiting rooms for top thyroid surgeon.  Have lived vegetarian life...there is no blame except for environment.  My childhood friend and I both diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer at same time (we were down winders from nuclear test site as kids)  It's almost always caused by radiation exposure and why so many now is a concern.  The good news is that it's a very slow growing cancer and oncologists tell me if am clean next scan will not reoccur for 10 yrs (and will be slow growing)  The only concern is advancing to esophagus.  Am not an md but research has shown that black raspberry helps with that.  Understand that it is a scary diagnosis but as we are told "the best cancer to have"  Doesn't help the anxiety does it!  With small children so much harder and you are in my thoughts...hope you have good support system to help with kids and try to find ways to take the anxiety away. 

VannaMae307
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I had this done in 2011. 

First off....4-5 days is wrong. It is 48 hours. Not sure why they are telling you 5 days, I had the largest dose possible...twice...and each time was 48 hours of isolation.

I had the R-131 (radioactive iodine) twice, after each set of thyrogen shots. Each time was 48 hours of isolation. I have not had a lot of negative reaction from it. The only reaction I had is the Synthroid thinning my hair out a little bit while I got the dosage adjusted. The radiation will leave your body in the 48 hour isolation period.....sweat, pee, tears, poop, any kind of bodily fluid or excrement is how it leaves. After that isolation period you are no longer "nuclear" either inside or out. You will have a body scan after the R-131 and they will tell you if the thyroid cells/cancer cells have been completely killed off.

greenhazel96
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Go on a all organic raw/juicing diet, it detoxes your body. Use many leafy green veggies and sweaten with fruits and eat nuts and beans for protien, hemp seeds are wonderfull. Dried figs and your antioxidant foods are great cander fighter. When you eat graing eat unprocessed grains such a brown rice, plain oat meal with seasonings you like.dont eat proscessed things like bread, cerialsor sugar unless its like agave syrup. Honey unless it is raw is considered refined. Good luck.This should boost your body to a powerfull state. research juicing and raw food diets. It has helped so many people with problems like cancer, weight and much more. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)