Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Article: Big Dairy Wants to Put Aspartame in Milk with NO LABELING!

FDA Requests Comments on Petition to Allow Aspartame in Milk

In 2009, the International Dairy Foods Association (“IDFA”) and the National Milk Producers Federation (“NMPF”) jointly submitted a petition to FDA requesting that the agency amend standard of identity regulations to allow the use of “any safe and suitable” sweetener in optional characterizing flavoring ingredients added to milk (e.g., chocolate flavoring added to milk) and 17 other milk and cream products. In particular, the IDFA and NMPF want to be allowed to use non-nutritive sweeteners, such as aspartame, in lieu of the nutritive sweeteners currently allowed, such as sugar.

IDFA and NMPF assert that the use of non-nutritive sweeteners can promote more healthful eating practices and decrease child obesity because children are more likely to drink milk if it is flavored, and milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners has fewer calories than milk flavored with nutritive sweeteners.

If FDA amends its regulations in accordance with the petition, a product could be labeled as “milk” without any further qualifications, even if it contains a non-nutritive sweetener that was added for flavoring. Under FDA’s current regulations, non-nutritive sweeteners can be used for optional characterizing flavoring in milk but such products must make use of a nutrient content claim and a standardized term, e.g., “reduced calorie,” on its label. 21 C.F.R. § 130.10(d).

IDFA and NMPF object to using claims like “reduced calorie” because they believe claims like that are not attractive to children. They also argue that consumers can more easily identify the nutritional value of milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners if labels do not bear such claims because consumers do not recognize that milk, including flavored milk, contains sugar.

Milk, including that used as a source for infant formulas, is expected by consumers to be naturally sweetened unless some aspect of labeling alerts them to an alteration wherein artificial sweeteners are included as an additive or alternative to natural sweeteners. If identity labeling is altered as requested, a two-fold problem will arise. Not only will artificial sweeteners become far more commonplace (because of their relative inexpensiveness) but also consumers accustomed to purchasing milk products without them will acquire the products largely ignorant of the change. That is a sleight of hand that FDA should reject. Will the agency favor industry over consumers? We shall see.

Please take the time to read the entire article at the above link (click on the title.)

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-14):
fleurmegs
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Agreed!  I'm so paranoid, I don't trust anyone.  There's only one store I will buy produce from, and it's definitely not Whole Foods.

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's getting to the point where I'm very leery about buying any food from any grocery store!

Quoting KCisPaulsMom:

Grrrr... between them... the USDA... and Monsanto... I'm about to pull my hair out.  I saw where Monsanto (the genetically altered food mafia) got to Whole Foods, too, I see.

Generica
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

More disgusting stuff...also did you know about the sweetener they use in cattle feed? I think its a couple molecules off from aspartame, I will look for the article...but aparently its cheaper than good ole molasses...

20ACE13
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

It makes me so angry that there are ANY "non-food" items in our food supply adding this junk to milk is just one more setp in exterminating people. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I am SURE Aspertame and things like it are the cause of my constant pain, I never knew how terrible things like it were until a few years ago ANYTHING that isn't found in nature as a poision.  If they add these things they should be labeled because I want the choice whether I am poisioning my self and my children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)