Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Newbie Here

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hello All!

My name is Jessica and I'm a SAHM with 2 little girls that just turned 8 & 5 years old.  I'm interested in living a more "natural" lifestyle.  I'll be the first to admit that I have the worse eating habits.  Generally speaking if it's healthy then you won't find me eating it.  Yet it's funny because I have my girls eating very healthy and they don't eat much junk at all.  Yes they will have cookies or ice cream here and there but in moderation, not like there Mama.

Anyway, almost 5 years ago I became sick with severe stomach/digestion issues.  I became extremely sick.  I had a severe stomach infection among other things.  After some time I started doing better.  I was back to be 100% but I wasn't nearly as sick as I was.  Well, unfortunately, it's all begun again.  I feel like a science experiment for the doctors and labs.  I'm being tested for several different things and the doctors still can't figure out what exactly is wrong with me.

I'm so tired of constantly being sick and in pain.  After all these years I'm sick of being at the doctors all the time too.  Especially when I'm not getting any answers.  I've been doing some research and I'm thinking of making a complete lifestyle change.  Totally change my diet and exercise too. 

I hope to learn from all you ladies on ways to live a more natural, healthy lifestyle.  Hopefully the changes will really help me and I can stop being in pain all the time or feeling sick all the time.  I don't really know much about the whole natural healthy living lifestyle so any links with info would be appreciated.  

I look forward to learning from all of you!

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Alyson121
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Hi. *waiving* Your body could be reacting to corn, soy and wheat.  Many processed foods are made with cheap soy and corn.  Now is probably a great time to eat as much living foods as possible and start eliminating processed foods or overly processed foods. 

Jessica45
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was talking to my DH about tonight.  I'm really considering making a complete lifestyle change.  Including getting rid of everything and anything processed.  Growing up my mom and grandma's made everything from scratch and I never had a problem.  Once I was out on my own and doing all my own cooking I started taking "shortcuts" and stopped doing everything from scratch.  So I've been thinking it's time to cut everything out and if I don't personally make it then I'm not going to eat it.  It'll be more work but it just might be what my body needs.

I want my lifestyle changes to begin immediately.  Tomorrow will be day 1.  Hopefully it goes well.  I drink a lot of soda which I know isn't good for me....so that will be the first thing to go.  My 2 liter Pepsi!  From now on only water and juices.

Quoting Alyson121:

Hi. *waiving* Your body could be reacting to corn, soy and wheat.  Many processed foods are made with cheap soy and corn.  Now is probably a great time to eat as much living foods as possible and start eliminating processed foods or overly processed foods. 

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Hi!  I'm Rhonda, and I made a diet change over two years ago that has helped my body make a huge turnaround in my health.  Alyson is right in that your body may be reacting to certain foods.  Over time, those foods can do enough damage to our gut so that our bodies just don't work the way they were intended.  Modern grains are not what they were 40 or 50 years ago.  They've been genetically modified and hybridized without thought of how they affect the living things that consume them.

I dropped all grains and legumes, sugar, and most dairy.  No wheat, corn, soy, oats, barley, rye, milk or yogurt here.  I started a diet very similar to the GAPS diet, which is geared toward helping heal our bodies from the digestive system on out.  Two-thirds to three-quarters of my diet is veggies, with the rest being grass-fed/wild-caught meats/poultry/fish, eggs from pastured hens, some dairy (I tolerate cheese so I didn't cut it out completely), some fruits, nuts, spices & herbs, and healthy fats.  We drink water, tea, or coffee (DH and kids, not me).  I cook meals from scratch and it's not as complicated as you'd think.  If you need ideas for meals, let me know.

You're getting a great start by dropping soda!  Soda is full of sugar and chemicals.  You'll probably go through a detox stage where your body craves the sugar and chemicals that it's become addicted to...you may suffer headaches, body aches, and irritability for several days until your body adjusts.  Just stay hydrated and stick it out and you won't regret it.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Welcome to the group Jessica,
I think that is a great idea on making a lifestyle change.
Good luck & let us know how that goes :)

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 1, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Hello and welcome to the group
aidensmomma508
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Welcome to the group!  Have you tried a gluten free diet?  I know that helps with tummy issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)