Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

moms who don't use sunblock

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 14 Replies

Besides a hat, what do you do?

-Mom who will not put those chemicals on my baby (leading brands)

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I gradually condition my skin to sun exposure  i.e. I don't go out for 2 hours in midday on my first day in the sun.

I try to stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.  If I have to go outdoors, I do my best to keep it under 20 minutes or else stay in the shade as much as possible.

Otherwise I just let my body do what it's meant to do:  develop a gradual tan.

msclover70
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I use sunblock on me and my daughter. We wear hats and sunglasses. I know the sun is very damaging no matter the race.
hkelly7
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

cool thats how I deal with my skin too...what about your babies? or when your kids were babies...I understand keeping her out of the shade but like umbrella...? hat?...my mom always used sunblock so I dont really have any ideas besides a hat. thanks.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I gradually condition my skin to sun exposure  i.e. I don't go out for 2 hours in midday on my first day in the sun.

I try to stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.  If I have to go outdoors, I do my best to keep it under 20 minutes or else stay in the shade as much as possible.

Heather Kelly

Business Coach

www.workathomeunited.com/hkel

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM

My daughter is a redhead and burned very easily as an infant.  I kept her inside between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. if I could and sheltered her with wraparound sunglasses or a blanket if I couldn't.  Sure, it was a bit of a sacrifice on my part...but I wasn't about to slather chemicals on my baby's skin.  Sunscreen is more dangerous than exposure to sun, as is evidenced by the increase in skin cancer rates since the use of sunscreen increased.

Now that my DD is older (almost 13), she tans much better and never gets a sunburn.

Quoting hkelly7:

cool thats how I deal with my skin too...what about your babies? or when your kids were babies...I understand keeping her out of the shade but like umbrella...? hat?...my mom always used sunblock so I dont really have any ideas besides a hat. thanks.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Alyson121
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't even wear hats because my thick hair won't fit under them. I make sure I'm hydrated and when I feel like I've had enough sun, I seek shade. 

Rota
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting msclover70:

I use sunblock on me and my daughter. We wear hats and sunglasses. I know the sun is very damaging no matter the race.

The sun has been given a bad rap due to a very poor research study that has been perpetuated ad nauseum. The sun is not your enemy. Lack of sun is. Why do you think people that live near the Equator have less skin cancer than we do? Why do people who never expose their skin to sun get the skin cancers? The sun is the best source of Vitamin D which PREVENTS a lot of diseases. Most Americans are very very deficient in Vitamn D . The sunblock you use has the potential to give you more skin cancer than  the sun itself.

msclover70
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Too much of anything is not good for you. Look at the people who tan. They truly damage their skin.Just know when to say when. The people near the equator probably don't eat the over process crap we eat, that has a lot to do with cancer we get.when you start messing with mother nature this is what you get. Even people that live in desert areas cover up.

Quoting Rota:

Quoting msclover70:

The sun has been given a bad rap due to a very poor research study that has been perpetuated ad nauseum. The sun is not your enemy. Lack of sun is. Why do you think people that live near the Equator have less skin cancer than we do? Why do people who never expose their skin to sun get the skin cancers? The sun is the best source of Vitamin D which PREVENTS a lot of diseases. Most Americans are very very deficient in Vitamn D . The sunblock you use has the potential to give you more skin cancer than  the sun itself.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Light, loose clothing when they had enough sun. Some sun is necessary for producing vitamin D, and sunscreen has dangerous chemicals.
Ruthmom802
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I try to tan gradually... But I also wear Bull frog on my neck and arms. My neck seems to get the most of the sun each summer. I don't wear shorts or many sleeveless shirts, though...because of personal beliefs. So, I'm fairly covered by clothes.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Im not out in the sun too often except if we take the kids to ther beach.Then we use a sunblock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)