Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Just a little advice please.

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello ladies,

I need to lose about 10 lbs.  Maybe 15 at the most.  I'm going to the beach in 5 weeks and if I can do it by then it would be awesome.  For the last two weeks I've been eating much smaller portions, cut out all sweets and junk food, drinking green tea (maybe 3 cups a day) and a lot of water.  I don't even drink any juice anymore.  I don't have time to workout really, but I do try and get some exercise in when I can.  I would say 2 to 3 times a week if I can.  I also eat some fruit during the day although it has a lot of sugar.  I guess my question is, do you think I will be successful in losing some weight?  What can I do to step it up?  I know I need to work out more and I'm trying, but its so hard with working and the kids.  I am also considering cutting out all or most starches.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM

If your portions are too small and you're not getting enough calories, your body will go into a state where metabolism will slow drastically and you won't lose weight.  You've got the right idea with cutting sweets and junk food and drinking plenty of water.  The only problem with a drastic diet and exercise is that once you quit, the weight will come back easily and quickly.

I personally follow a low-carb diet (little to no starches/sugars) for my health and I have to stick with it for the rest of my life.  I've lost weight on it, but it requires a lot of discipline and I do have to be sure I eat enough calories.  It's like Phase 1 of the South Beach diet:  eggs, lean meats, healthy fats, plenty of veggies and some cheese...and when I followed the SB diet several years ago, I lost 7 lbs. in one week (probably a lot of water weight) and then 2 to 3 pounds a week after that.  However, when I quit I regained a few of those lost pounds.  You have to find what works for you.

I do think your goal is very doable.  I strongly advise that you join the Healthy Weight Loss group here on CM.  There are plenty of tips, ideas, and encouragements there for losing weight in a healthy way.

Karenjm
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Awesome, thank you! I do try and nibble throughout the day and when I'm hungry I do eat a little something. Hopefully that will prevent my weight from becoming stagnant. Thanks again!
Quoting michiganmom116:

If your portions are too small and you're not getting enough calories, your body will go into a state where metabolism will slow drastically and you won't lose weight.  You've got the right idea with cutting sweets and junk food and drinking plenty of water.  The only problem with a drastic diet and exercise is that once you quit, the weight will come back easily and quickly.

I personally follow a low-carb diet (little to no starches/sugars) for my health and I have to stick with it for the rest of my life.  I've lost weight on it, but it requires a lot of discipline and I do have to be sure I eat enough calories.  It's like Phase 1 of the South Beach diet:  eggs, lean meats, healthy fats, plenty of veggies and some cheese...and when I followed the SB diet several years ago, I lost 7 lbs. in one week (probably a lot of water weight) and then 2 to 3 pounds a week after that.  However, when I quit I regained a few of those lost pounds.  You have to find what works for you.

I do think your goal is very doable.  I strongly advise that you join the Healthy Weight Loss group here on CM.  There are plenty of tips, ideas, and encouragements there for losing weight in a healthy way.

TiffanyD78
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you ever heard of Moringa Oleifera? 3rd party info at www.researchmoringa.com. Most people hit a wall even when they eat the most healthiest of foods. The sad reality is that our most healthiest foods lack the nutrition it had 4 and a half decades ago because if soil depletion.
If you would like more info on how Moringa could help you email me at tdlaws78@gmail.com.
First please check out the research!
CaraAchterberg
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, but I would pound the veggies - eat as many as you can so that you don't feel like you're starving yourself. Instead of trying to not eat bad stuff, focus on trying to eat more good stuff. And you're right - more exercise will help if you want it to come off fast. It will depend on your age/metabolism. Slow loss is always better and usually more likely to be permanent. That's my uneducated-except-by-life-experience opinion from a life-time of wrestling with my wieght. Good luck and blessings!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)