Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Steel cut oats in smoothie?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
I want to give more substance to my breakfast smoothies. Someone said to add traditional oats. I asked dh to pick me up some on his way home today so I could use them in the morning. Well, he grabbed steel cut oats. My concern is they won't "blend" well with my smoothie. I tried google and got conflicting results. Some said to not use steel cut oats, ever. Some said if you do grind them in the blender first before adding other ingredients. And another said to soak the oats over night in whichever liquid I will be using. And someone else recommended cooking them first, which I would like to avoid.

So, I'll ask you ladies. Any advice welcome. Personal experiences?? Thanks in advance!
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I use them when I make soda bread, and soak them in lukewarm water first. You could do that overnight if you want your smoothie in the morning. Juice would will, too. A tablespoon of oats is plenty.
Vertical15
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I would try each method since you have them and try it out.  They are inexpensive and worth a shot.  A good filling, I would think.  I haven't tried it though.

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I've only used them in oatmeal for the kids and they do require more cooking time.
soontobemommie3
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I tried the blender method. Actually, I ground them in a coffee grinder. (Who new the coffee grinder I received as a Christmas gift, would come in handy. Since I don't drink coffee!) it made it into a fine powder almost like protein powder. Worked like a charm. Got the nutty taste I was going for! It also filled me up nicely. I wasn't even hungry yet she. Lunch rolled around. :)

Quoting Vertical15:

I would try each method since you have them and try it out.  They are inexpensive and worth a shot.  A good filling, I would think.  I haven't tried it though.

Vertical15
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I'm glad you got good results!  Now maybe I will try it, too!  I need a new blender though.  Mine is terrible!  It doesn't even blend ice very well anymore. 

Quoting soontobemommie3:

I tried the blender method. Actually, I ground them in a coffee grinder. (Who new the coffee grinder I received as a Christmas gift, would come in handy. Since I don't drink coffee!) it made it into a fine powder almost like protein powder. Worked like a charm. Got the nutty taste I was going for! It also filled me up nicely. I wasn't even hungry yet she. Lunch rolled around. :)

Quoting Vertical15:

soontobemommie3
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Yeah, I begged DH for a good blender once I started making smoothies. I tried with an old cheap one we had and it was not worth it. We have a good one now and it really comes in handy! The kiddos have a hard time getting in their veggies for the day so we make a lot if green smoothies. Lol.

Adding the oatmeal to them is great for rushed mornings that I don't have time to cook.

I do recommend a coffee grinder for grinding up the oats. The blender didn't grind them up enough. And beware if how much you use, since they're uncooked they'll expand in your belly. Lol.

Quoting Vertical15:

I'm glad you got good results!  Now maybe I will try it, too!  I need a new blender though.  Mine is terrible!  It doesn't even blend ice very well anymore. 

Quoting soontobemommie3:

Quoting Vertical15:

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I only have used the quick oats in cookies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)