Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Do you get one every year?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Replies (11-18):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

What makes you think it would be thousands of dollars? You could have the physical and then make a knowledgable decision. Knowledge is always empowering.

Quoting Octobersmom:

We couldn't afford the thousands of dollars that our insurance wouldn't cover.  Only phsyicals are.  Nothing else.

Quoting SweetLuci:

But that's the point of having a physical, you can stop things while they are little, before they become life threatening. Since you have insurance, that would cover at least part of any treatment if it were needed.

Quoting Octobersmom:

No.  While it's covered by our insurance, we can't afford treatment if anything is wrong so I don't need to know if I'm dying and can't stop it.

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I have a physical once a yr , mammo- once a yr, gyno-2x a yr.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hahahaha. Yeah right. I haven't had a physical in......................... see? I have no idea. High school maybe? I hate doctors. I'm fairly healthy. If something comes up I go to a quick Urgent Care thing which doesn't really include an exam of any type.

butterdaisy
by on May. 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Sure do! Each family member has a yearly physical every October. My husband doesn't like to go but I'm sure glad he cooperates. 8-)

Rocking Motherhood Royally!!

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I am about every 2 years lol

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Yes, even though they say every 3 years! I usually end up pregnant before I am due for a 2 or 3 year one anyway so I don't think I've gone longer than a year and half since I was 16 lol I do think they are important!

Lol. I was like that. I swear every year I was pg or had a baby

Vertical15
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Yes.

Barabell
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

No, I can't remember the last time I've had a physical.

Rota
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Even though I am a nurse, I haven't had a physical in over 10 years. Doctors are not trained to prevent disease- they only look for disease. A physical rarely accomplishes much except pad the pockets of the providers. By looking at your eyes, ears, throat- if you haven't any symptoms- then most likely they will be normal. By listening to heart and lungs and belly- if you don't have any symptoms- they will mostl likely be normal. Checking your pulses- the same. Checking your reflexes- the same. Now let's talk about lab work. This is where  some prevention could come in- but only for certain lab tests. Most physicians check, chemistry panels, cholesterol. Cholesterol measurement is worthless and "high" cholesterol does not mean you are prone to heart disease. The latest studies have shown that there is absolutely no correlation between cholesterol levels and heart disease. Your body knows how much cholesterol it needs and it makes what it needs. Don't mess with Mother Nature. For really good lab work, get am cortisol leves, fasting insulin levels ( not the same as Blood sugar), Vitamin D, and maybe thyroid ( T3, T4 and TSH). Now those tests could tell you something. If you remember one thing- over 90% of chronic diseases are related to diet and lifestyle. Your doctor doesn't know anything about how to put all that information together to teach you what you need to do to get/stay healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN