Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Everybody In The Pool! But Please Leave The Poop Behind

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

Everybody In The Pool! But Please Leave The Poop Behind

by Nancy Shute, NPR

May 16, 2013

Perhaps you've noticed a toddler's sagging swim diaper and wondered if it's really keeping the poop out of your neighborhood pool.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the answer for you: no.

Last summer, researchers at the federal public health agency collected 161 filter samples from public swimming pools in the Atlanta area. More than half of those samples, 58 percent, were contaminated with E. coli.

That, the CDC reported today, "signifies that swimmers introduced fecal matter into pool water."

Toddlers who aren't toilet trained are just one source of the problem, according to the study, which was published in the latest Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

People who don't shower with soap before swimming bring E. coli on their backsides, the CDC reports. And people who swim while sick with diarrhea are much more likely to introduce E. coli, Cryptosporidium, and other yucky germs into the water.

That takes some of the shine off the opening of summer pool season, doesn't it?

Fortunately, a properly chlorinated pool can kill E. coli quickly. So if your local pool is doing a good job maintaining chlorine and pH levels, that takes care of that problem.

The testing method used in this study couldn't tell if the E. coli was alive or had already been killed. And no outbreaks of pool-related disease were reported last summer in Atlanta.

Wondering why the lifeguards kick you out of the pool for 30 minutes after a "fecal incident"? That's the amount of time the CDC recommends to make sure that E. coli, by far the most common fecal pathogen, has been killed.

Other bugs are a lot harder to kill, unfortunately. It can take 45 minutes to kill Giardia, which causes diarrhea, in a pool chlorinated with 1 part per million of free chlorine. But it can take more than a day to kill Cryptosporidium, even with 10 times as much chlorine.

The CDC wants you to do your part by showering before you get in the pool. Children should be taken to the bathroom every hour, and diapers should be checked and changed at least that often. Most important, stay out of the pool when suffering from diarrhea.

Oh, and the CDC knows you pee in the pool, too. The nitrogen in urine depletes free chlorine in pool water, making it harder to kill germs. Nitrogen also converts the chlorine into a form that irritates the eyes and lungs. So stop doing that.

But this subject isn't a complete bummer. It's given us here at Shots an excuse to revisit the classic Baby Ruth in the pool scene from the 1980 movie "Caddyshack." Enjoy!

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Will you still swim in public pools after reading this article?

Do you rinse off before entering public pools?

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Well isn't that a pleasant thought. The only time we use a public pool is at hotels when we travel or at water parks, and we've always taught kids to not drink the water.

We rinse off before and after being in a pool. Getting the chloring out of hair and off skin is important.

Barabell
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Well isn't that a pleasant thought. The only time we use a public pool is at hotels when we travel or at water parks, and we've always taught kids to not drink the water.

We rinse off before and after being in a pool. Getting the chloring out of hair and off skin is important.

We rinse off before and afterwards because of chlorine too. Your skin is like a sponge, so rinsing before is very important to reduce the amount your skin absorbs.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Exactly.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting SweetLuci:

We rinse off before and afterwards because of chlorine too. Your skin is like a sponge, so rinsing before is very important to reduce the amount your skin absorbs.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Interesting!  We have a pool but I think we'll be getting rid of it for other reasons.  Our family swims in a maintained pond that has fish in it....I wonder how much E. coli THAT water has...

We rarely anywhere that has a pool.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Nope. I never do

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:10 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

We have our own so we're set :)

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM

EW... we rarely if ever go to public pools... I don't remember the last time we did... I hope the hotel keeps their levels right lol at least it's not nearly as crowded, we are usually the only ones in the pool... I hate chlorine, I like the pools that use bromine instead...

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:25 AM

This is us too, well we always shower after but never before, I honestly never understood what the point of showering before was and rarely saw anyone ever do that... and when people did at the public pool growing up they did it with their suits ON lol I always felt bad that my children weren't getting to swim as much as I did growing up... we go to a spray water park though often and they get wet in our front yard in the sprinkler...

Quoting SweetLuci:

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here. It always seems the pools are pretty empty unless we're  somewhere like a kid friendly resort or amusement park.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

EW... we rarely if ever go to public pools... I don't remember the last time we did... I hope the hotel keeps their levels right lol at least it's not nearly as crowded, we are usually the only ones in the pool... I hate chlorine, I like the pools that use bromine instead...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)