Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Grapes

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you think it makes a difference in the color as to which is healthiest?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Different colors of grapes and their healing power

FOOD, Health — By on June 22, 2011 5:24 pm

There is a variety of grapes in the market. Different tastes(sour, sweet), different colors(black, red, green) have different nutritional and medicinal values.

Sour grapes can increase saliva production and improve digestion. Sweet grapes can nourish our blood and increase our energy. The varieties and their maturity determines the taste of grapes. During summer, the high temperature will cause dysfunction in our metabolism, endocrine system and temperature regulation. We can eat sour grapes to quench the thirst, increase the appetite, and relieve dry mouth. Whereas sweet grapes can nourish the chi and blood. Sweet grapes also nourish the liver and kidneys. Regular consumption can strengthen our body, reduce coughing caused by lung disease, and reduce night sweat.

Purple grapes: rich in anthocyanins and flavonoids(powerful antioxidants to resist and eliminate free radicals). Can prevent aging, reduce skin wrinkles and improve eyesight.

Black grapes: the mineral content of potassium, magnesium and calcium is higher than other grapes. Most of the minerals are in the form of organic acid, thus very important in maintaining the body’s ion balance. Can reduce, fatigue, anxiety, headache, neuralgia and depression.

Red grapes soften blood vessels, promote circulation and prevent thrombosis. Cardiovascular patients should eat more red grapes. Can prevent stroke.

Green grapes turn white color when they are mature. White grapes are good for people with respiratory disease, coughing and bad skin complexion.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Health benefits of grapes

• Grapes are rich in polyphenolic phytochemical compound resveratrol. Resveratrol is one of the powerful anti-oxidant, which has been found to play a protective role against cancers of colon and prostate, coronary heart disease (CHD), degenerative nerve disease, Alzheimer's disease and viral/ fungal infections.

• Resveratrol reduces stroke risk by altering the molecular mechanisms in the blood vessels. It does so firstly by reducing susceptibility of blood vessel damage through decreased activity of angiotensin (a systemic hormone causing blood vessel constriction that would otherwise elevate blood pressure) and secondly, through increased production of the vasodilator substance, nitric oxide (a beneficial compound that causes relaxation of blood vessels).

• Anthocyanins are another class of polyphenolic anti-oxidants present abundantly in the red grapes. These phyto-chemicals have been found to have an anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, as well as anti-cancer activity.

• Catechins, a type of flavonoid tannin group of anti-oxidants, found in the white/green varieties have also shown to possess these health-protective functions.

• In addition, the berries are very low in calories. 100 g fresh grapes just provide 69 calories but zero cholesterol levels.
  • Grapes are rich source of micronutrient minerals like copper, iron and manganese. Copper and manganese are an essential co-factor of antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Iron is especially concentrated more in raisins. In addition, 100 g of fresh grapes contain about 191 mg of health benefiting electrolyte, potassium.

• They are an also good source of vitamin-C, vitamin A, vitamin K, carotenes, B-complex vitamins such as pyridoxine, riboflavin, and thiamin.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Doesn't make so much of a difference in "healthiest" as it does in health benefits.

Barabell
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I like green grapes the best. I think as long as you're eating fruits and veggies you'll benefit either way.

Barabell
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Doesn't make so much of a difference in "healthiest" as it does in health benefits.

Good article, and after reading it, I'd agree with this comment. 

aidensmomma508
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I like green ones

momofsixangels
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Thanks for the list! I love black grapes

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I love grapes..don't matter the color. 

Vertical15
by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I like them all.  Mt favorite is to take green ones and freeze them and eat them like that.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I got some scuppernog grapes last week in my farm to table basket. They were delicious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)