Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Kinesiology

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone studied it or been to a kinesiologist?

I've been searching for non-medicated/non-surgical relief from severe shoulder pain/loss of motion since early this spring, and I saw a kinesiologist yesterday.  I had immediate results...not a full return of complete range of motion, but definite improvement.  Last night was the first night I slept without pain in my whole upper back/shoulders/neck in several months!  He also found a small problem in one of my hips that was causing my leg to not move forward correctly, and my hamstring muscles weren't getting proper signals either, so that just made my body work harder to run (and run improperly)....and here I thought it was just my age creeping up on me! 

I'm not 100%, but I sure feel GREAT this morning!

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
joanandgene
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Never tried a kinesiologist but it looks I might look into one.  Now, how do you find a good one around here.......

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Quoting joanandgene:

Never tried a kinesiologist but it looks I might look into one.  Now, how do you find a good one around here.......

Hmmm....I'll have to ask him the next time I'm in....

I had a 2nd visit today and I already show a world of improvement!

.strawberry.
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I went to a holistic doctor once that used applied kinesiology. Not sure if that's the same thing. It was a load of garbage.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting .strawberry.:

I went to a holistic doctor once that used applied kinesiology. Not sure if that's the same thing. It was a load of garbage.

It's the same thing except my doctor is also a chiropractor.  I gotta say, I'm impressed.  I saw him for the 2nd time today and I feel incredible relief from the pain along with improvement in range of motion.  The spinal/skeletal and muscle manipulations have a lot to do with it.

.strawberry.
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM
The one I seen had me hold my arm out and would place a vial near me and told me to push against him and how hard I pushed was if my body did/didn't want it. IMO this is just guessing, there is no evidence whatsoever that your body can sense things near it and get a reaction without exposure. I read about it and in trials applied kinesiology was proven worthless. The doctor I seen prescribed me $200 worth of supplements for a disorder that didn't show up in blood work I had taken two days later at my regular doctor. He also prescribed me a dosage of iodine that could have been lethal, had I taken it. I returned it all and got a refund.
Chiropractors are great and so are holistic doctors. I'm not sure what your treatment plan is but I would be careful if I were you. But, that's me :-p

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting .strawberry.:

It's the same thing except my doctor is also a chiropractor.  I gotta say, I'm impressed.  I saw him for the 2nd time today and I feel incredible relief from the pain along with improvement in range of motion.  The spinal/skeletal and muscle manipulations have a lot to do with it.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I can understand why you feel the way you do...that guy really sounds like a quack!

My doctor has a gentle approach.  He uses pressure points, like acupuncture, to relieve muscle spasms and pain, and he uses manipulation to get my bones back where they belong so that the muscles can recover.  He hasn't suggested any kind of supplement and I'd be hesitant to take anything anyway because I don't react to supplements like the majority of people do.  He's also got a medical background and studied for years in pre-med, chiropractic, and finally kinesiology.

We have another kinesiologist in town that uses chakra stones, essential oils, and other things to treat people.  I REALLY questioned when she was recommended to me. She doesn't have a medical background that I am aware of, and I was told that true kinesiologists are required to have a medical degree to even enter the best schools for training.

I felt better going to someone with a medical background because I really had no idea what was wrong with my shoulder and back, and I wanted to avoid surgery if at all possible.  As of right now, I trust this guy.

Quoting .strawberry.:

The one I seen had me hold my arm out and would place a vial near me and told me to push against him and how hard I pushed was if my body did/didn't want it. IMO this is just guessing, there is no evidence whatsoever that your body can sense things near it and get a reaction without exposure. I read about it and in trials applied kinesiology was proven worthless. The doctor I seen prescribed me $200 worth of supplements for a disorder that didn't show up in blood work I had taken two days later at my regular doctor. He also prescribed me a dosage of iodine that could have been lethal, had I taken it. I returned it all and got a refund.
Chiropractors are great and so are holistic doctors. I'm not sure what your treatment plan is but I would be careful if I were you. But, that's me :-p

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting .strawberry.:

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM

No, but I probably should.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)