Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Fish Oil

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone take fish oil pills? I had my  yearly blood work done because of my high blood pressure and the Dr. office called and said my bad chlorsetrol was high and I should start excercising and take two fish oil pills a day  to  try and lower it, I read some reviews and they say it can cause nauesea and a bad taste of fish in your mouth. I was wondering if anyone here takes this and do you have any side effects ?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
.strawberry.
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Most fish oil supplements will test high for mercury. I'm assuming you want to take them for the Omega 3 (eha and DHa). Try the flaxseed variety instead. Other great sources of omega are chia seeds, hemp seeds, cauliflower, hummus, and Brussels sprouts. Also, to lower your cholesterol you need to reduce your meat and dairy intake. Low saturated fats is so important. Increased vegetables and real foods is so important.

Good luck!
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I lowered my cholesterol without meds (from 311 to NORMAL) in ONE MONTH by cutting out grains and soy, most dairy, and yellow seed oils such as canola/sunflower/safflower/corn and consuming more vegetables, animal protein and more fat (not just animal fat but also coconut oil, olive oil, and avocados.)  Dietary cholesterol (in the foods we eat) does NOT have a significant effect on our blood cholesterol levels, and our bodies need cholesterol to function.  Saturated fat particles don't significantly affect LDL levels.

Cholesterol also acts as a band aid in our bodies....where there is inflammation, there is cholesterol...putting a band aid on the affected area.  If you keep eating inflammatory foods or foods that contain damaging substances, the body senses the damage and will put more cholesterol in your circulatory system.  The cholesterol does its job by packing on the bandaids, so to speak, and you have plaque buildup.  Thus the reason I avoid grains:  they are fairly loaded with lectins that get into your system and damage blood vessel walls, causing inflammation.  Sugar is another....and fructose (as in HFCS or eating a lot of fruit) can cause even more problems.

Yellow seed oils are heavy in omega-6, and they're found in so many foods that the balance of omega-6/omega-3 oils in our diet is terribly upset.  Other foods are natural sources of omega-6, so we can get what we need from those foods....not to mention that hexane is used in the processing of these oils:  not exactly something I want in my body.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I use krill oil--MegaRed brand. No fishy smell or taste. Coconut oil also, stirred unto coffee, cocoa or soup, or draught out of the jar. I did find sin coconut oil capsules the other day at the health food store.
Rota
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

It is true that most fish oil is from contaminated sources and will contain, pesticides, herbicides, PCB's and mercury, Not anything that you want in your body. We use Omega 3 from Shaklee and even though my husband is highly allergic to fish, he can take those because they are formulated to be dissolved in the small intestine so you don't get the allergic reaction or the fishy taste. Shaklee will guarantee purity on all their products. You cannot get the omega 3 that you need from plant sources as your body cannot convert it very well.

sunshinepraying
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM
My parents take or and haven't heard about any side effects. I don't personally though.
Koltie6
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Krill and coconut oil. Coconut oil has amazing properties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN