Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

recycling sweetpea

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
housewifehell
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Since there isnt a recycling program here in my area we recycle as much as we can by simply reusing and repurposing things. We "scavange " everywhere we can and have collected so many things out of the "trash" that have been perfectly useable.  One of the big things we love doing is taking old mattresses and box springs. (we take measures against bed bugs) strip the fabric off and use it as fencing for our farm animals.

strictmomhere
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Yes

matt_sara_mom
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Yes, to keep myself from being lazy and not doing so I keep my recycling bin right next to my kitchen door.

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yes, we recycle and compost. Amazing how little trash we have. :)

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yes!

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

How do you go about composting? Would love to do this.

Quoting RobynS:

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

You can buy composters (I would love the have a "tumbler"), but we just have a huge plastic container out by the garage that we put all of our fruit/veggie scraps in. (no meats and we don't put bread in, though I'm not sure if that would be okay).

You have to "turn" it every once in a while. I just take a pitch fork and try to move the stuff from the bottom to the top, etc. Eventually, you end up with 'black gold' -- vitamin rich goodness to put on your garden! :)

Oh, and I'm not sure about citrus--I don't usually put orange peels in the compost. Not sure what if the citric acid would be okay in there or not. :)

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting RobynS:

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Awesome! Thank you! I think I'm gonna try this... Does it stink?

Quoting RobynS:

You can buy composters (I would love the have a "tumbler"), but we just have a huge plastic container out by the garage that we put all of our fruit/veggie scraps in. (no meats and we don't put bread in, though I'm not sure if that would be okay).

You have to "turn" it every once in a while. I just take a pitch fork and try to move the stuff from the bottom to the top, etc. Eventually, you end up with 'black gold' -- vitamin rich goodness to put on your garden! :)

Oh, and I'm not sure about citrus--I don't usually put orange peels in the compost. Not sure what if the citric acid would be okay in there or not. :)

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting RobynS:

RobynS
by Mama2CamKat on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

nope, not at all. I think the only time it would stink is if you're putting the wrong things in it. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the fruit/veggie scraps are the "green matter" but you also need "brown matter" in your compost--leaves, grass, etc, so make sure to get a fair amount of that in there, too.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Awesome! Thank you! I think I'm gonna try this... Does it stink?

Quoting RobynS:

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting RobynS:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)