Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

September 8, 2013 is International Literacy Day

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
September 8, 2013 is

International Literacy Day

Today is International Literacy Day! Each year, International Literacy Day highlights the status of literacy and adult learning globally. There are now almost 4 billion literate people in the world, but universal literacy remains an elusive target. One in six adults is still not literate and more than 67 million children are out-of-school.

In 1965 the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) designated September 8 as International Literacy Day. It has been observed every year since 1966. Find out ways that you can help and learn more about this day

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

What a great thing to celebrate!

GypsiSky
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Awesome day!

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Hopefully the rates of literacy will increase.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TigerofMu:

What a great thing to celebrate!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
TFS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I so agree. It's so sad that so many people can be illiterate in this day and age.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM

It is. I used to volunteer with our local literach council and it was very rewarding to see a new world open up to someone who previously couldn't read. Just think what it would be like if you couldn't read street signs, a menu, packaging directions, a tv quide.

Quoting celestegood:

I so agree. It's so sad that so many people can be illiterate in this day and age.

Quoting SweetLuci:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
You are a great person to volunteer there. But it really sounds like its very rewarding.
I do sadly know one person who is completely illiterate. His sister(my aunt by marriage) fills his paperwork out, and does everything for him that involves reading and writing.
Its so preventable, and should not happen.
At any rate, you rock!

Quoting SweetLuci:

It is. I used to volunteer with our local literach council and it was very rewarding to see a new world open up to someone who previously couldn't read. Just think what it would be like if you couldn't read street signs, a menu, packaging directions, a tv quide.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Maybe you could talk to her about encouraging him to check it out. Most libraries have individual one-on -one training. She could look into it and see what is available. They often start with familiar objects, like road signs and then progress.

Quoting celestegood:

You are a great person to volunteer there. But it really sounds like its very rewarding.
I do sadly know one person who is completely illiterate. His sister(my aunt by marriage) fills his paperwork out, and does everything for him that involves reading and writing.
At any rate, you rock!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting SweetLuci:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I will bring that up the next time I talk to her. He would be so much happier if he did learn to read/write. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Maybe you could talk to her about encouraging him to check it out. Most libraries have individual one-on -one training. She could look into it and see what is available. They often start with familiar objects, like road signs and then progress.

Quoting celestegood:

At any rate, you rock!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN