Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

What do you consider healthy?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

What do you all consider healthy eating??? There are so many different variations! And then when I go to find recipes there are so many different variations to that as well.

As for me, I don't want to eat anything that is processed, which is very difficult since half the recipes I find my kids will not touch, and honestly they look and sound disgusting!!!

And now I find myself eating the same things day after day. I don't want to get bored with my eating. 

Also I live in a small town, so the selection of things that I want to try is very limited as well. I wish I lived in the country so I could have my own garden and raise some of my own animals.

Anyone have any suggestions???

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

What works for us is moderately low carb (lower than that for me personally)/moderate protein/high healthy fat clean eating.....in other words, Primal dietary guidelines.  We eat a LOT of veggies (at least 1 serving per meal, usually more), pastured beef/clean pork/clean poultry/wild caught fish, eggs from pastured or free range hens, low-glycemic fruits (berries, apples, pears) with other fruit thrown in there at times, organic if possible but not necessary.  We consume healthy fats in the form of coconut oil, olive oil, real butter, avocado, fatty fish, coconut milk, and nuts.  I use a large variety of seasonings and spices to flavor our foods.  Our meals are NEVER blah and my kids and DH really enjoy them.  I'm happy to share recipes, or if you go to my CM group Rhonda's Home Kitchen, one whole forum is dedicated to Paleo/primal eating with a very large recipes post in there.

No breads, cereal, pasta...no grain foods since almost all grains are grown with heavy doses of chemicals or else are genetically modified....wheat, corn and soy are the worst offenders. 

Rhonda

saraewhite
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!!!! Found your group and joined and will be combing through the recipes!

Quoting michiganmom116:

What works for us is moderately low carb (lower than that for me personally)/moderate protein/high healthy fat clean eating.....in other words, Primal dietary guidelines.  We eat a LOT of veggies (at least 1 serving per meal, usually more), pastured beef/clean pork/clean poultry/wild caught fish, eggs from pastured or free range hens, low-glycemic fruits (berries, apples, pears) with other fruit thrown in there at times, organic if possible but not necessary.  We consume healthy fats in the form of coconut oil, olive oil, real butter, avocado, fatty fish, coconut milk, and nuts.  I use a large variety of seasonings and spices to flavor our foods.  Our meals are NEVER blah and my kids and DH really enjoy them.  I'm happy to share recipes, or if you go to my CM group Rhonda's Home Kitchen, one whole forum is dedicated to Paleo/primal eating with a very large recipes post in there.

No breads, cereal, pasta...no grain foods since almost all grains are grown with heavy doses of chemicals or else are genetically modified....wheat, corn and soy are the worst offenders. 

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM

almost forgot:  I use local honey or local maple syrup as sweetener....VERY little refined sugars in our house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)