Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

So frustrated with my family!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been trying to switch to a healthier diet, clean eating and cutting out processed foods. I knew it would take awhile for the kids to adjust so I tried to find meals they were used to but making them from scratch with whole foods.

But almost all of it they refused to eat! I am so frusturated and even my husband who was on board with it decided he didn't care anymore!!!!!!

Ugh!!!!!! I was doing so good and now, not so much. At this point I wish I lived by myself and didn't have to cook for anyone else!

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I found that finding equivalent-tasting substitutes for processed foods is almost impossible.  I'm not going to add the MSG and other additives that processed foods have.

You can give up, or you can keep trying new recipes.  I have also found that giving them a "cheat" day and letting them eat garbage for a day seems to quell the uprising.  They've gotten better.

What specific things are they protesting? 

saraewhite
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Pretty much eveything! LOL!!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I found that finding equivalent-tasting substitutes for processed foods is almost impossible.  I'm not going to add the MSG and other additives that processed foods have.

You can give up, or you can keep trying new recipes.  I have also found that giving them a "cheat" day and letting them eat garbage for a day seems to quell the uprising.  They've gotten better.

What specific things are they protesting? 

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I look at it this way:  I wouldn't knowing let them eat arsenic or rat poison, so I'm not knowingly going to feed them toxic foods either.  Yeah, they get one cheat day but 80% healthy eating/20% not so healthy is a lot better than 100% not healthy.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I found ways to make "processed" food products from scratch and found tasty healthy substitutes.  Sausage?  I make my own from ground up pork and spices/herbs.  Taco seasoning...make my own and it tastes just like Taco Bell.  Spaghetti sauce....make my own.  In place of granulated sugar, I use honey.  Pizzas are homemade with ingredients that I know are healthy.  I dumped cereals and my kids found that omelets or baked eggs (with additions) are a lot better.  They love dairy-free smoothies (simply a can of coconut milk and frozen fruit.)  My DD especially loves a "cherry Garcia" smoothie, made with coconut milk, frozen sweet cherries, and a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips.  Those chips won't hurt her and it sure makes the smoothie more enticing.  My family hates avocados, but they love guacamole...I make my own and serve with veggie sticks.  Our version of green bean casserole is not what French's created....I saute bacon and fresh/frozen green beans, add fresh mushrooms and chopped onion toward the end.  They love it!  Instead of mac & cheese, I steam cauliflowerets and add cream cheese and cheddar cheese....no unknown powders or Velveeta...and it's just as tasty.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would make small adjustments for dinner for them and focus on other ways that you can eat healthier. I switched to whole wheat bread, it took a little while for the kids to adjust. If you have room next year, plant a garden. My kids love fresh stuff from the garden.

Karine561
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't how you cook but do you tast it before serving? Maybe a little more salt or some spice. Learn using herb spice help a lot. When I do steam veggies i put a little salt in the water them when cooked I put some butter and even 1 crush garlic on it. My kids love it. Try until you find you own style. Use a book. My favorite recipe book are from taste of home"the busy family book" easy and quick recipes.
ablackdolphin
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

What about getting them to help make the food? Sometimes they are more likely to eat it if they help or have a say in the planning.

amourdieu
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Hi, Gabrielle here. I think you would do well with adding some heathier foods into their diet more slowly. Our bodies 'crave' more of what we've already been eating the most. Thats probably why your family thinks they 'dont like' the new healthier food. I would suggest a healthy 'cover up', like fresh fruit smoothies with a veggie or two in them to cover up the healthy taste. Try that for a while to get them use to having better things in their bodies, then add from there. Example, my toddler didnt want to eat greenbeans, so i started putting them 'baby food' style in a fruit veggie smootie, and he loves it. He has no idea he is eating, or dinking lol those greenbeans. :-) Hope this helps. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)