Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Living Healthy Living

Insect Bites

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am always attracting mosquito bites and have used a wide array of ways to stop it from itching.  Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.  Just wondering what you use when you get bitten. 

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM

oh.....there's something, but I can't remember what it is:  honey, baking soda paste, toothpaste?

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Tried the toothpaste, that works sometimes.  I must be allergic to a bigger bite because it only works on small bites.  I tried tea tree oil and it works sometimes as well. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

oh.....there's something, but I can't remember what it is:  honey, baking soda paste, toothpaste?

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:53 AM

I have Benadryl cream bc of my daughter's allergies and also a Neosporin with an anti-itch cream.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Lavender oil should help.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I am going to try that!  Do you have a brands that I can buy?  I can run to my Whole Foods to see what they have.  I know that some of the cheaper brands are not as effective.

Quoting psych_mom:

ILovemyPaulie
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I spray the kids and I down with mouth wash before we go out in the early evening to take a walk. I put it into a spray bottle and it works wonders. Any mouth wash will work. Have you tried that yet to prevent the bites? Then, don't laugh, if we do get bit, I spray Windex on a paper towel, pat the bite and it takes the itch away.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I only use DoTerra myself, but if you can find one at Whole Foods that is all natural and organic that should work, especially since you are not ingesting it.

Quoting momofnatalie:

I am going to try that!  Do you have a brands that I can buy?  I can run to my Whole Foods to see what they have.  I know that some of the cheaper brands are not as effective.

Quoting psych_mom:

lulalacroix
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 3:51 AM

So mouthwash actually works?  Does it make you sticky?  I hate using bugspray on my family.  It's only for emergencies.

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

I spray the kids and I down with mouth wash before we go out in the early evening to take a walk. I put it into a spray bottle and it works wonders. Any mouth wash will work. Have you tried that yet to prevent the bites? Then, don't laugh, if we do get bit, I spray Windex on a paper towel, pat the bite and it takes the itch away.

ILovemyPaulie
by on May. 1, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I works great. It does make you a little sticky though. I just wipe down the kids legs and arms when we get home anyway.

Quoting lulalacroix:

So mouthwash actually works?  Does it make you sticky?  I hate using bugspray on my family.  It's only for emergencies.

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

lulalacroix
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Thanks so much.  I'm gonna try it out.  We get terrible mosquitos in Colorado and still get cases of West Nile Virus.

One more question, do you dilute it with water or use full strength?

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

I works great. It does make you a little sticky though. I just wipe down the kids legs and arms when we get home anyway.

Quoting lulalacroix:

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN