Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Do You Cook From Scratch?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM
  • 27 Replies

i've been cooking more and more from scratch. i have found a great bread recipe. and a lot of recipes from DH grandma that are like foundation things that can be used for many other recipes. i would like to learn to make hamburger buns and hotdog buns.

my dh's grandma says all you need to make a meal is water and flour. lol.

by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stellarmom1
by Becca on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep, I sure try to make a lot from scratch. It's not always convenient but it's so much healthier and cheaper!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Family4Eternity
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Yes I do.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:43 AM
We cook from scratch a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
txmom-o-3
by Kathy on Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:55 AM

The first time my son had a cake in this house from a box he was in high school.  I always cooked from scratch, even the pancakes I fixed on Saturday mornings.  I did buy bread though for every day use.  I didn't have a bread machine back then and I worked full time so it was easier.

I rarely bake anymore, but I do cook our meals from scratch.  They just taste better, and I can control things like salt content.

takeitall13
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I LOVE to cook from scratch, at least you know what is in it when you do.  I have psoriasis and don't want fake sugars, trans fats, etc in my diet so it ensures when I make it myself that they wont be there.  I really got into it after reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series because her mom was always baking cakes etc,-- we had always made our own stuffing and stuff and it got me into making our own cakes and frostings :)

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM
I cook some things from scratch but not every thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kennethsmom910
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I cook some things from scratch. I am adding new things all the time.

RADmomma
by Sara on Nov. 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I cook most things from scratch. All meals are from scratch and most everything I bake as well. I wish I had a bread machine though because we go through ALOT of bread...I know how to bake dessert breads but not sandwich breads!

SammiBaby
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I don't cook everything from scratch. But I've actually been cooking from scratch more and more lately. I prefer it if I have the time. It just always tastes better plus it makes it easier to keep track of what you're actually consuming.

Stevied13
by Steph on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM

i found a good recipe that i make bread and it's in the oven. i will post it. it's from Juilia Child.

Quoting RADmomma:

I cook most things from scratch. All meals are from scratch and most everything I bake as well. I wish I had a bread machine though because we go through ALOT of bread...I know how to bake dessert breads but not sandwich breads!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)