Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

i've been cooking more and more from scratch. i have found a great bread recipe. and a lot of recipes from DH grandma that are like foundation things that can be used for many other recipes. i would like to learn to make hamburger buns and hotdog buns.

my dh's grandma says all you need to make a meal is water and flour. lol.

by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:28 AM

At least 95% of my stuff is from scratch.  My 8 year old dd will tell you "the stuff from a box and can is not good for you, it's full of salt. My mommy doesn't even touch the salt shaker."  LOL...

I was making sloppy joes one night and my MIL came in the kitchen (we live with her).  I was chopping veggies to put in it and she asked why I needed them for sloppy joes.  I told her I put plenty of veggies in mine.  She said the Manwich has veggies in it.  Marie looked at her and said "Do you know how much salt is in that stuff, MawMaw? Mommy's stuff is homemade." 

I do keep boxed mac n cheese and instant potatoes on hand "just in case" on busy or sick days, but, if it's a non-busy day, it's from scratch. 

3pippings
by Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:30 AM

I cook everything from scratch except broth. Take too long and waste of electricity :p

wendums1229
by Wendi on Nov. 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3pippings:

I cook everything from scratch except broth. Take too long and waste of electricity :p

Have you tried doing it in a crock pot overnite? They use hardly any electricity and they make the best broth in my opinion. I just made some Chicken broth from necks and backs for Chicken noodle soup it was yummy if I do say so myself lol

wendums1229
by Wendi on Nov. 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I cook everything from scratch except eggs!! lol sidesplittinglaughter

3pippings
by Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Crock pot? Interesting. I should find out about that. Thanks :)

Quoting wendums1229:

Quoting 3pippings:

Have you tried doing it in a crock pot overnite? They use hardly any electricity and they make the best broth in my opinion. I just made some Chicken broth from necks and backs for Chicken noodle soup it was yummy if I do say so myself lol

RADmomma
by Sara on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM

YES PLEASE!!!!!

Quoting Stevied13:

i found a good recipe that i make bread and it's in the oven. i will post it. it's from Juilia Child.

Quoting RADmomma:

I cook most things from scratch. All meals are from scratch and most everything I bake as well. I wish I had a bread machine though because we go through ALOT of bread...I know how to bake dessert breads but not sandwich breads!

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Nov. 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I cook almost  every thing from scratch . I do however bake everything from scratch though.. :o)

AmosFarkle
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM

The grandma is a hoot!  Close, but you need veggies from the garden, at least.  (Bet she had one, too.  <wink>)

Anyway, making buns...I hear there's a *mold* to make those with.  Otherwise, it would be like making little yeast breads, I guess.  Round = hamburger.  Oblong = hotdog.  I know there are cast-iron cooking forms to make cornpones, but you could probably make hotdog buns with those pans.  Cornpones are like individual cornbreads.  But if you use a light wheatbread recipe, why wouldn't that work?

(Hey, your little ones remind me SOOOO much of mine at that age!  I had a 9yo, and a 5-1/2yo, when the baby came along.  Thanks for the memories!) toddler tantrum  Why, oh why, did they have to grow up?  27/24/19....waaaaaah!

AmosFarkle
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Quoting wendums1229:

I cook everything from scratch except eggs!! lol sidesplittinglaughter

happy  You silly girl, you!  Well, hey, you've PRODUCED *eggs*, and that's why you have to deal with unruly children every day....

bouncing

AmosFarkle
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

At least 95% of my stuff is from scratch.  My 8 year old dd will tell you "the stuff from a box and can is not good for you, it's full of salt. My mommy doesn't even touch the salt shaker."  LOL...

I was making sloppy joes one night and my MIL came in the kitchen (we live with her).  I was chopping veggies to put in it and she asked why I needed them for sloppy joes.  I told her I put plenty of veggies in mine.  She said the Manwich has veggies in it.  Marie looked at her and said "Do you know how much salt is in that stuff, MawMaw? Mommy's stuff is homemade." 

I do keep boxed mac n cheese and instant potatoes on hand "just in case" on busy or sick days, but, if it's a non-busy day, it's from scratch. 

high five to your dd!  I gotta have my salt, but I make sure it's sea salt.  I take after my dad, and for some reason it's a necessity...maybe because we could/can break a sweat so fast. I was a ballet dancer, and I'd start *glowing* during the first exercise at the barre, when most of the others were cold.  Beats me!  Gotta do what ya gotta do.  Since I perspire so quickly and easily, I need more salt than most people.  Thank goodness for deodorant!!!!!  sidesplittinglaughter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN