Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Delicious Corned Beef & Cabbage in the Slow Cooker

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
  • 1 Replies

Delicious Corned Beef & Cabbage in the Slow Cooker

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on March 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM

corned beef and cabbageSt. Patrick's Day is coming up and it's time you start planning your annual Irish feast. It doesn't matter if you've got a bit of the leprechaun in you or not, March 17 is a great excuse for everyone to have a beer or two, wear some green, and eat corned beef and cabbage while watching the first round of the NCAA tournament. Between the yummy food, the weather, and the basketball, this truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

So throw some ingredients in the slow cooker, watch bball for nine hours, then enjoy some of the best corned beef 'n' cabbage you've ever had. 

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Cook time: 9 hours. Prep time:15 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

Note: Corned beef shrinks by about 50 percent, so for generous servings (and leftovers if you're lucky), buy about one pound of meat per person. If I'm serving it early in the day, I like to set this up before bed and let it cook while I sleep. In the morning, I remove the meat and vegetables from the pot and reheat about 1/2 hour before I want to serve it.

Ingredients:

• 2 stalks celery, halved
  • 4 carrots
  • 1 medium onion, cut in 4 wedges
  • 4 to 6 red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 4-pound corned beef brisket
  • 12-ounce bottle stout or dark ale
  • 1 tablespoon corned beef spices or pickling spices (or spices that come with the brisket)
  • 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges

Directions:

1. Place celery, carrots, onion, and potatoes in the bottom of a large slow-cooker or Crock-Pot. Rinse the corned beef brisket and place over vegetables. Add the bottle of stout, spices, and enough water to just cover the meat. Cover and cook on LOW for eight to nine hours. 
  2. Remove the meat and vegetables from the pot and cover with foil to keep warm. Increase heat to high and cook cabbage until softened but still crispy, 20 to 30 minutes. 
  3. Slice brisket across the grain, serve with vegetables, mustard, and horseradish sauce. Pass extra cooking liquid at the table.

Enjoy!

What's your favorite St. Patty's Day meal?

by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
dkaam05
by Kristina on Mar. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I like ham and cabbage.  Not a big fan of the corned beef.  Taste like really weird beef jerky.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN