Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Spaghetti Squash

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

This could easily be turned into a meatless dish. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash??

Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce Recipe

Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce RecipePhoto by: Taste of Home Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce Recipe

Neither my mother nor I had tried spaghetti squash before, so when we cooked this recipe together, all we could do was grin and say "Wow!" It's fun to separate the noodle-like strands from the squash shell, but the eating is the best part!—Lina Vainauskas, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina

Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce Recipe

• Prep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
  • Yield: 6 Servings
10 25 35

Ingredients

• 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 8 inches)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

Directions

• Slice the squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add water and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Meanwhile, brown beef in a large skillet; drain. Add onion, green pepper, herbs and seasonings; saute until onion is transparent. Stir in tomato puree. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Scoop out the squash, separating the strands with a fork. Just before serving; stir 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese into the meat sauce. Serve sauce over spaghetti squash and pass remaining Parmesan. Yield: 6 servings.

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
dkaam05
by Kristina on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Want to try this squash so bad. My boyfriend thinks its gross.

Marti123
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM
We eat squash quite a bit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Family4Eternity
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Great thanks for sharing.

Shani527
by Shannon on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM
I really would like to try this. Not sure I like squash though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by Sara on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting Shani527:

I really would like to try this. Not sure I like squash though.

If cooked correctly...its doesnt have the taste or texture you assume with squash. I do not like butternut squash of any other than spaghetti squash.

once its cooked you use a fork to shred out the spaghetti strands and it super yummy...

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Mar. 17, 2012 at 6:17 AM

It's been a long time, but I remember it actually tasting like spaghetti.  Great if you're on a low-carb diet.

rkoloms
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM

This is actually my least favorite squash. 

this is probably my favorite way to eat it:  Sesame-Ginger Spaghetti Squash

Serves 4 to 6

The Asian flavors of ginger, sesame, and mirin add a lovely punch to this mild-mannered squash. This bright and colorful dish can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature. The key to success is to avoid overcooking the spaghetti squash, as it can turn to mush rather quickly. Orangetti can be substituted for the more traditional yellow variety of spaghetti squash.

3 pounds spaghetti or Orangetti squash

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

2 tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)

2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

1 tablespoon hoisin sauce

2 tablespoons mirin

1/4 teaspoon sweet chili sauce, or to taste

1 small red bell pepper, finely diced

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or Italian flat leaf parsley

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Poke a few holes in the whole squash with the tip of a sharp knife. Place the squash on a baking sheet and roast for 45 to 60 minutes. To test if the squash is done, press it firmly with your fingers; if your fingers leave a slight indentation, the squash is cooked. Remove from the oven and cut the squash in half lengthwise to prevent it from overcooking.

Once cool enough to handle, remove and discard the seeds. With a fork, gently scrape out the strands and place them in a large bowl, separating and fluffing them with your fingers.

While the squash is cooking, combine the ginger, garlic, vinegar, oil, hoisin, mirin, and chili sauce in a small glass jar. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to combine. Set aside at room temperature.

Add the diced red bell pepper and cilantro to the strands of squash. Toss to combine, then add the dressing, tossing again to mix well. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately or refrigerate for several hours until cold. Prior to serving, transfer the mixture to a platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds

Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yes...

My MIL made some a short while back and the girls loved it!  Need to pick one up this week when I do my big shopping! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)