Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Recipes

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

Do you have alot of family recipes ? 

Are they secret family recipes or do you share them ?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Shani527
by Shannon on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

No, no secret recipies, except my grandma never taught me how to make her pb brittle. She always said there was a secret ingrediant lol but Im not sure about that.

My mom makes killer taquitos. Her secret is putting in chopped black olives in the meat mixture.

stellarmom1
by Becca on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM
I have a bunch passed down from my grandma. I wouldn't say they were secret but I wouldn't want to give them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I wish I had some written down from my grandma.  But, most of hers were locked away in her mind.  She never looked at a cookbook, that I can recall.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on May. 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I have a "secret" recipe for potato salad/deviled egg dressing, but I've shared it so I guess it's not so secret, huh.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on May. 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Here's that "secret" recipe (in case anyone missed it before), and I swear you won't be disappointed.  I know I'm from the South, but I have Cali friends who have tried this and decided to use it for family picnics.

MOM'S POTATO SALAD DRESSING

Yield: about 1 pint - stores well in fridge for quite awhile

1-1/2 c. mayonnaise

2 tsp. prepared mustard

3 T. sugar (yes, I said sugar...you won't regret it)

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 T. cider (or white, whatever) vinegar

1/2 tsp. juice from a jar of olives

MIX all together in a medium-small bowl.

The salad ingredients she uses:

peeled, cubed boiled potatoes (salt the water well so the potatoes will soak it up)

boiled eggs (you can put them right down in there while the potatoes boil)

sweet pickle relish

chopped olives (not a whole lot)

minced onion

There's just something about putting the dressing on while the potatoes are still hot.  They soak it all up.  You've got to be careful to FOLD them, though, unless you like yours a little more mashed up.  To each his own.  Remember, when you're adding the dressing:  You can always add more, but you can't take away.  <-----one of those great cooking tips we all should remember

SammiBaby
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

My grandmothers recipe for macaroni AND potato salad. She was famous for her potato salad.

Only my aunt knows how to make it though. I know the ingredients but I just haven't attempted to make it yet so not sure how it will work out. And even when my aunt makes it, it still doesn't turn out QUITE like grandma's was.

And I would never pass that recipe onto anybody. Her's is the only one that I have tasted that was like that and it was the best I had ever had. That is the only one I can think of right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)