Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Our Most Common Cooking Mistakes #39

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

How to Avoid a Spreading Cookies

Photo: Johnny Autry 

39. Your Cookies Gain Unwanted Holiday Width

Result: Sad gingerbread men.

Baking holiday cookies can go from a labor of love to an exercise in frustration when your gingerbread men come out more bloated than a Macy's parade float. The problem is too much heat—but not at the baking stage, at the mixing stage: Your butter is too warm.

The solution: Keep your butter cool, right until baking. Butter starts to melt at 68°, and once that happens, its water-fat emulsion breaks and there's no getting it back. Cold, emulsified butter helps give baked goods structure by taking in air when mixed with sugar. For cookies, you want butter well below room temperature; between 50° and 65° is optimal. Cut the butter into chunks, and let it stand at room temperature to soften (nix the microwave idea entirely).

If the butter is still cold to the touch but spreadable, you can start creaming. Butter and sugar need only be mixed (or "creamed") for about 30 seconds—much longer and the butter warms up. Chill the dough for 20 to 30 minutes before you bake. Lastly, don't put the cookies on a hot pan. If you're working in batches, cool the used pan for a few minutes, then run it under cool water before reloading (don't do this while it's hot, though, or you'll risk warping the pan).

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AmosFarkle
by AmyV on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yah, well, I gain "unwanted holiday width", too!  lol

Shani527
by Shannon on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

These are good tips

Family4Eternity
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

No that would be me not the cookie. lol

SammiBaby
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

lol It's always me instead of the cookie. I must have a defective cookie that repells all that weight gain onto me. I demand a new one!

Any how though, I've never made gingerbread cookies and don't really make cookies too often especially holiday ones but these are great tips!

Jerichos_Mommy
by Malena on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

thanks for the tips

starreyedcutie
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Hahaha

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Yah, well, I gain "unwanted holiday width", too!  lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Good to know!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)