Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our Most Common Cooking Mistakes #40

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

Burnt Pancakes

Photo: Randy Mayor 

40. Your Flapjacks Flame Out

Result: Blotchy, burned pancakes

Too often, pancake cooks put up with a few poor specimens at the beginning—splotchy and greasy—and a few more duds at the end; the latter can be scorched from a too-dry pan yet perversely underdone within. This is not a heat problem or a batter problem: It's a pan-prepping problem.

The solution: Don't pour oil directly into the pan. Hot oil will spread, pooling in some areas, leaving other parts dry. Just a scant amount of cooking oil creates a smooth, even cooking surface throughout, so pancakes cook evenly from start to finish.

If you're using a pristine nonstick pan, you may not need oil at all. Otherwise, here's how to apply it: Heat a skillet (any variety) over medium heat, then grasp a wadded paper towel with tongs and douse it with 1 tablespoon canola oil. Brush the pan with the soaked towel. You could also use cooking spray, except for nonstick pans: It leaves sticky residue on Teflon surfaces.

Add batter, flipping only when bubbles form on the surface of each pancake, about two to three minutes. Resist the urge to peek, which breaks the seal between the pan and the batter; that seal is what ensures even cooking. Swab the pan with the oiled paper towel between batches to keep it properly greased.

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Shani527
by Shannon on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Good tips

Family4Eternity
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Guilty
Its usually because I turn away & get sidetracked. lol Then realize I am still making pancakes. lol

SammiBaby
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM

This is something that I used to do when I was younger. However, after taking time to teach myself otherwise I don't often make this mistake. However, I LOVE this tip about the napkin and oil. Different than I'm used to but seems like it'd be more effective.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Malena on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

good tips

starreyedcutie
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM
I have a electric griddle that makes them.perfect! Love that thing!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

great tip, thank you.

Stevied13
by Steph on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Love my griddle for pan cakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)