Banana Breakfast Doughnuts
(can be fat-free)
Inspired by this recipe.
- 2 cups spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf works)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil, plus 2 T milk of choice (If you prefer fat-free doughnuts, omit oil and increase milk to 1/3 cup.)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 and 1/2 T lemon juice
- 1 stevia packet (or 1 T more agave or other sweetener)
- 2 c tightly-packed, mashed banana (measured after mashing)
- optional: chocolate chips, walnuts, or shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix into dry. (Mix by hand, and don’t overmix.) If you have a doughnut pan, grease and pour in batter. If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can make this recipe into muffins by using a muffin pan. Cook 30-35 minutes, or less if using a mini doughnut pan. I think the recipe yields about 14 doughnuts. I made 6 big doughnuts, two muffins, and quite a few mini doughnuts, because my doughnut pan wasn’t big enough for all the batter!
Click the following to see the Doughnuts’ Nutrition Facts.
And yes, these doughnuts can be frozen.
I recommend this frosting recipe: Vanilla-Fudge Frosting.
But you can also opt to top the doughnuts with coconut butter, peanut butter, a powdered-sugar glaze, vegan cream cheese frosting, jam, or whatever else you like to put on banana bread.