Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Do you use a cast iron skillet?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM
  • 28 Replies

Do you use a cast iron skillet?

I do not but I'm thinking about getting one.  Any recommendations?

jugglingJoin me in The Lounge for more conversation!
               Or come chat on The Park Bench!

by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stellarmom1
by Becca on May. 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Nope but I would like one too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM

no, i don't

Family4Eternity
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Love them & have a set.

AmosFarkle
by AmyV on May. 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I do, but not as often as I should.  I was just thinking about pulling mine out (I have a large and a small) and using them more often.

You won't regret having one, but it needs some TLC to become an heirloom.  There should be instructions included for seasoning it.  DO NOT skip this step!!!!  It's so very important!  Be sure and oil it lightly after each use, and if possible, don't even wash it.  Just wipe well with paper towels.  If you DO have to wash, use a non-stick scrubbie, not a metal one.  And dry thoroughly, immediately.  Otherwise it can rust.  Then re-coat with oil.

Cafe AmyB
by Head Admin on May. 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Yep, I use one when I want a really good crust on something. I actually have my grandmother's original cast iron skillet. It's about 80 years old and full of memories.

Acid
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I love ours.  The only thing you have to worry about is deglazing every week or so.  Or it will get sticky.

To deglaze get the pan super hot, think smoking, then turn on some lukewarm water and run the hot frying pan under the water.  Wipe off, with a paper towel, the pan.  Then oil it with olive oil.

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on May. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Yes, i Have one.. I use  it only when i want something crusty or crunchy.... Its  an old one..  my grandmas.. 

justahousewife
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I use a coated cast iron dutch oven but none of my pans are cast iron. I love cast iron but I was told I wasn't suppose to use them on my glass top so I resist the urge. The dutch oven is my exception. 

Remember when you buy new you have to cure your pan. Never use soap to wash it and don't leave it sitting in water, ever. 

I love cooking with cast iron, I just wish my glass top didn't come with the warning. :)

aneela
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM

same here

Quoting stellarmom1:

Nope but I would like one too!

Maries_Mom23
by Alice on May. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

For now, we have a small one that I use for cornbread.  

I want a bigger one though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)