Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Grill Skills 101 Day 7: Desserts on the Barbie!

Posted by   + Show Post

Who says the grill is just for dinner? Get creative and grill dessert!

Fruit
You can grill pineapple, peaches, plums, watermelon, mangoes, bananas -- pretty much any fruit works! The grill's heat brings out the fruits' natural sugars and makes for a perfectly sweet ending to any meal. To grill fruit:

Pick the best produce: Find fresh fruit at your local Farmers' Market. Or take these tips to your supermarket and stock up on the sweet stuff there.

Clean your grill:
As always, start with clean grill grates and brush them with a bit of canola or light olive oil to keep fruit from sticking.

Spear 'em: Who doesn't love fruit kebabs? And they're even better grilled!

Butter 'em up: You can brush the fruit with a little melted butter or light olive oil to keep it from sticking.

Wrap 'em:
Wrap sliced, smaller fruit such as strawberries in a foil packet so they don't fall through the grates. 

For more tips, check out this great article on grilling fruit.

Other sweet-from-the-grill treats:

The options are endless! Do you have any grilled dessert ideas or recipes to share? Please do!

eatingIf you missed yesterday's tips for grilling veggies, click here. To get all the tips from our Grill Skills 101 course, click here.

by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommee42boyz
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM
I just got a fresh pineapple. Its definitely going on the grill. Thanks Kristin! Great tips this week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM
I'll have to try one of these soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanAndCoral
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

This recipe is officially known as Plankies but whatever you call it, make sure you have the ambulance on speed dial.

Ingredients:

• 1 regular cedar plank, soaked in water
  • 8 Twinkies
  • 3/4 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
  • 6 Oreo cookies, smashed into chunks
  • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup chocolate toffee pieces

Serves:

• 4 to 8 sweet toothed people

Preparation:

1. Preheat grill to medium-low heat.
  2. Arrange the Twinkies on the plank.
  3. Slather the top of the Twinkies evenly with Nutella.
  4. Sprinkle with mini Oreo chunks, marshmallows and chocolate toffee pieces.
  5. Place plank on grill and close lid.
  6. Allow Twinkies to heat and smoke slowly for 15 minutes, until marshmallows are golden brown and everything is heated through.
  7. Remove from grill and serve immediately with a big glass of milk.
alnilam
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

oh I have one similar to the pound cake one, grilled fruit and cake kabobs I got the recipe from taste of home, I love that magazine! I also have alot of vintage cookbooks that have been passed down to me for a few generations. Although I love cookbooks I have always been the kind to look at one and go hmm I think it might be better with this or without that. so heres my version lol frozen pound cake cut into cubes (Ive done this with many different cakes that I have frozen, but pound cake is one of the best because it is a dense cake), strawberries you want some really nice large ones, fresh pineapple chunks, fresh apriocots (your strawberries will nest nicely into that halved pitted apricot), grill ot a medium temperature, brush with syrup, preserves or honey while grilling done in 1-2 minutes on each side, perforated pans or baskets are also great for these and you can make alot and use even a larger selection of your favorite fruits and add things like blueberries right before you take them off the grill, serve your favorite toppings whipped cream, whipped topping, icecream or yogurt.

my other grill favorites is baked stuffed apples and my version of the peach melba

mammapav
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I have done the pound cake, pineapple and peaches. 

Stevied13
by Steph on May. 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM
I have heard of this, but haven't tried
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Ive never tried grilling fruit. Those kabobs sound yummy! I really liked this grilling course. I learned more than I already knew about grilling. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Grilled peaches with your chicken is really good too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful tips thus week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful tips thus week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN