Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

Revolutionary Mac & cheese... making this for dinner now.

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Revolutionary Mac & Cheese

September 1, 2011 · 191 comments

in pasta, Side Dishes

I found this recipe long ago and can’t believe I’m just now making it.  The neat thing about this recipe, is you simmer the noodles in the milk instead of using water then adding it at the end. It’s cheesy and the mustard gives it a nice depth of flavor. It still doesn’t top the blue box for me (I know, I know but I just can’t help that I love it so much) but it is a great homemade alternative.  I also made it a bit lighter by using skim milk, reduced fat cheese, and whole wheat pasta.  Feel free to go that route or use full fat ingredients for a super indulgent and decadent meal or side dish.  This can also be baked as well which I opted not to do but I think would be really delicious.  As a side dish this makes about enough for 4 people with no leftovers, so I would double it if you are having company over.

Revolutionary Mac & Cheese
Source: Cate’s World Kitchen  adapted from White on Rice

Ingredients:
2 cups dried pasta
2 cups 2% or skim milk
1 cup loosely packed shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dijon mustard

Directions:

In a small saucepan, add pasta and milk.  Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, until pasta is soft, stirring frequently and ensuring milk does not boil.

Turn heat off, add cheese & salt & and stir to combine.  Stir in the mustard a little at a time to taste. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes, then stir again and serve. If not creamy enough, add milk a little at a time, and gently stir.

If you would like to bake it at this point, place in a baking dish and top with a generous sprinkling of cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 10 minutes until cheese has melted.

As a side dish this makes enough for 4 people with no leftovers (can easily be doubled).

*Also several commenters below have loved adding broccoli, diced tomatoes or jalapeno to give the mac & cheese a little more zing and amped up flavor. Also to help with the creaminess several have added in a bit of cream cheese or yogurt.

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Sounds good we will have to try this soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by Sara on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM

this is quite possibly the best mac & cheese I've ever made.

Super easy...I made a few little changes... just a little extra cheese & milk...

SO GOOD

2girlsYES
by Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM
This is a must try :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Alice on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yum...

Family4Eternity
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Sounds yummy!

stellarmom1
by Becca on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, glad it turned out well!

Quoting RADmomma:

this is quite possibly the best mac & cheese I've ever made.

Super easy...I made a few little changes... just a little extra cheese & milk...

SO GOOD

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SammiBaby
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I'm making this the next time I make mac and cheese.

Seriously you could have just showed me the pic and I'd be good to go. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Shani527
by Shannon on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Thanks for sharing and your update on how it turned out. Looks and sounds really good!

AmosFarkle
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

How simple, how good sounding.  Plus, I can do it with gluten free pasta.  (I'm not always a "good girl" but I suffer for it.  urk)  Thanks, Sara!

jaytee
by Jen on Jun. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM
I love homemade Mac and cheese!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN