We just survived a heat wave here on the East Coast and it's making me feel terrified about the rest of summer. Lord, is there more? Can't we just skip ahead to September? And more importantly, what will we eat?
Next to dealing with how I'll survive the sweltering journey from one air-conditioned location to the next this is the most pressing question. I'm less hungry in a heat wave, but I still get hungry. And kids get hungry. And someone needs to make food. But if you turn on the stove and try to heat food you may spontaneously combust.
Here are my go-to heat wave meals. Food you serve cold!
1. Salads. Well, duh. You didn't need me to tell you that. There's a million salads out there -- pick one. Oh I know, wash some lettuce (really well), chop up some tomato, dump in some canned tuna, and drizzle with a little olive oil.
2. Gazpacho. I love this Spanish cold soup! Blend some fresh (or canned) tomatoes with a cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic cloves, and a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar. Some people blend with a little bread, too, to make it thicker. And if you're a Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, toss in some vodka and sleeping pills! (Not a serious recommendation.)
Click HERE to see video.
They're all just really hot.
3. Deli sandwiches. Grab some bread, cold cuts, lettuce, and tomato and let everyone make their own sandwich. I do love a turkey avocado on wheat.
5. Ceviche. Contrary to popular belief it's not exactly raw fish -- the lime or other citrus juice you squirt over it actually "cooks" the fish without heat. This is for you kitchen ninjas out there ready for a real challenge -- here's a ceviche recipe.
6. Cold cereal with milk. Oh yeah, like you've never! Also: Ice cream, popsicles, frozen peas...
What do you like to eat in a heat wave?