Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Meal Solutions Family Meal Solutions

don't know if I can post this but

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
Anyone know what I can make with these ingredients?
Brown rice, canned mixed veggies, canned corn, canned black beans, butter beans, and northern beans. Canned and frozen green beans, crushed tomatoes, wheat gnocchi,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

You could make a fried rice with some of the veggies and brown rice. You could probably add the black beans too it. 

I've never cooked gnocchi.

RADmomma
by Sara on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM

veggie stir fry

hayvensmommy07
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Would that work with canned veggies? I don't have soy sauce but I have a stir very sauce I've never tried

Quoting RADmomma:

veggie stir fry

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayvensmommy07
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Would it work with canned veggies?, I don't have soy sauce.

Quoting Noni2319:

You could make a fried rice with some of the veggies and brown rice. You could probably add the black beans too it. 

I've never cooked gnocchi.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Canned veggies should work fine.  Just add them close to the end of the cook time, since they are already tender.  I'd add the beans too, but put those in early in the process or cook them on the side to tender them up a bit.  Black beans should work well here.

I recommend rinsing all canned veggies.  I think it improves the taste, as well as getting rid of excess salt.  Use a little of the sauce, but not alot, since you've never tried it.  We do alot of "stir fries" and my husband has learned to not season it so much since we have such different tastes.

I did basically this same thing but without rice one night.  The kiddos ate it up and asked for more.  The only seasoning I used was some Nature's Seasoning (Reduced Sodium Blend), and  some extra garlic and pepper.  I used 1 can of the veggies and 1 can of beans.  I rinsed, then added 1 can of water.  I cooked 5 minutes, stirred well, and cooked for another 5.  The water was almost completely gone, the beans were cooked well, and the veggies were awesome.  If you do it similar to that, cook the rice separately and mix together at the end.

hayvensmommy07
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Thank you, I'll have too try that. I have the same seasoning so I may just use that, I don't usually use canned veggies but things are tight and mil gave us the things listed above so I'm tweeting to do what I can with that

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

Canned veggies should work fine.  Just add them close to the end of the cook time, since they are already tender.  I'd add the beans too, but put those in early in the process or cook them on the side to tender them up a bit.  Black beans should work well here.

I recommend rinsing all canned veggies.  I think it improves the taste, as well as getting rid of excess salt.  Use a little of the sauce, but not alot, since you've never tried it.  We do alot of "stir fries" and my husband has learned to not season it so much since we have such different tastes.

I did basically this same thing but without rice one night.  The kiddos ate it up and asked for more.  The only seasoning I used was some Nature's Seasoning (Reduced Sodium Blend), and  some extra garlic and pepper.  I used 1 can of the veggies and 1 can of beans.  I rinsed, then added 1 can of water.  I cooked 5 minutes, stirred well, and cooked for another 5.  The water was almost completely gone, the beans were cooked well, and the veggies were awesome.  If you do it similar to that, cook the rice separately and mix together at the end.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN